Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

What did you do to your S series today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 AM

Nice job, man. I'm sure Bren will be appreciative.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Today-1 I waxed the black car (97) for the winter. It's amazing how shiny you can get absolutely trashed alloy wheels to look....not bad for a 21 year old ride...

Ah .Black Gold Metallic. Light has to hit it just right.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Today I figured I should adjust my parking brake before taking the vehicle in for inspection.

My driveway has a bit of a slope towards the end, which is where I was parked. I normally work on the car in the garage.

I now fully understand why professional garages always have level floors.

On the S cars you need to partially disengage the parking brake to remove the screw that holds the cover to the e-brake. I put the car in first gear. And it started to move. It actually rotated through a compression cycle while I was reaching into the car from the passenger side. I couldn't pull it into neutral to change gears because the e-brake alone with not hold it in it's normal position. I whipped that screw out, pulled the cover off, pulled up hard on the ebrake, but the car still slowly inched forward. I fumbled for the right deep socket and then cranked like hell on the adjuster to get it to stop moving. It is now properly adjusted.

I always put it in gear when I park it and always use the ebrake. Never dawned on me to put in in reverse facing down a hill as my ebrake never has gotten so weak. The mechanical lever on one of the rear calipers is fubar d. I've been putting off replacing it. Non critical.

Maybe not so non critical when you're a dolt

Old 11-05-2018, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Oh great shame us into washing and waxing our cars! Now I feel guilty for working on my house this weekend instead of my car. I did polish my wife’s wheels on her Lincoln before our trip to Washington a few weeks ago. I ran it through a car wash on the way up there. LOL

Old 11-06-2018, 08:02 AM

I also feel guilty for not having washed my red car in like six months... only thing I’ve ever done in that time was wipe off places to get tape to stick lol...

Old 11-07-2018, 07:24 AM

Hey derf, you ever head of blocking the wheels? I do that and my driveway is ALMOST level. I'm not taking any chances. Dude, you got to get some sleep.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

If I blocked the wheels, I would not be able to tell if the e brake was holding without removing the block. If it wasn't holding, I'd be at one end of the car or the other holding the block, watching the car slowly roll past me.
Usually, I put the back end of the car in the air to make sure the brakes are not dragging with the ebrake off after I've adjusted it.
And I do that in the garage with the front wheels blocked.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:18 AM

You keep working on your car and the HOA finds out, you're gonna be in big trouble, Mister! LOL Just be safe and think things through, derf. We don't want anything happening to you.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you for caring.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM

I consider everyone on this forum a friend and part of my family. Especially you, bro.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your S series today?