Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn 3 Door Coupes (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/)
-   -   What did you do to your S series today? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-3-door-coupes-28/what-did-you-do-your-s-series-today-10265/)

Merica 09-16-2015 09:08 PM

What did you do to your S series today?

Saw this on another forum I used to belong to and people seemed to have fun with it, so I figured I'd try it here... Sorry if it's been done before.:rolleyes:

Today I drove it to and from work, washed it, parked it and thought about waxing it... It's the thought that counts...:D

derf 09-16-2015 11:11 PM

Got Walker QuietFlow Muffler installed on 97 SC2, drove to my mom's to assist in her getting hearing aids, then came home and made chicken (asian sesame marinade) on the grill.

uncljohn 09-20-2015 07:55 AM

I didn't do anything to my S series coupe today. It sits quietly in the driveway ready to start and run where ever I want to go with it and every now and then marking it's spot because I have not had the opportunity to repaint it again. Something that is badly needed. It is mechanically up to snuff other than the malfunctioning odometer that quit just shy of 100,000 miles on it. (Parts to fix it are on the shelf) It recently passed smog again and considering the appearance to the amazement of the people at the center. But with only about 110,000 miles on it, no reason why it shouldn't. All the windows are functional and should stay that way for a while. I sure wish some of the plastic bits and pieces that make up the interior were in reproduction some where. So much of it now has turned brittle and is breaking.

derf 09-20-2015 11:30 PM

I peeked in the garage to note a slightly thicker micro coating of microdust on the 95 SC2.

stared at my 97 SC2 and the gouge marks in the rear quarter and need to take care of them -- it's been three years. I'm going to compound the whole car, wax it except the grooves/gouges, then fill them with a crayola crayon after I look up the melting point of the wax. Then a spray can clear coat to make it stand out as a poorly done hack job. Which will be an accurate description by the time I'm 1/3 done.

Something ventured, everything lost

19bonestock88 09-23-2015 07:13 AM

Umm, why a crayon? Wouldn't that be too soft to use in the outside of the car?

I found this plastic repair kit online; should do wonders for your car...

Plastic Repair Kits - ColorRite

Then you would paint over the work and call it good...

derf 09-23-2015 10:32 AM

very interesting. Thanks for the lead. Now I'm thinking about how to repair the ruts in my 97 SC2.
Later I need to jack up the back end of my 95 SC2 so I can figure out which POS rear rotor is warped so i can return it under warranty to Autoblown to get a replacement POS under warranty.

Off topic
I was counting on packing in the crayon as hard as I could to make it as stiff as possible. Was then hoping the clear coat would be hard enough to protect the softness underneath. It's not like children play on the rear quarter. Just no more automtaic car washes and delicate handwashing will be in order.

That's a cool kit. I think I've seen ones that you can actually order the color via the color code on your vehicle. Of course it won't match exactly due to aging. Can't decide if straight black or mismatched black gold metallic will look worse, and whether I should just do the cracks or the whole areas around the cracks to blend. I am not a painter let alone spraypainter so I'd never get it blended right.

The above is why it's been 3 years and I've done nothing.

Way off topic
Actually the other contributing factor is that it occurred about 30 min after seeing my dad on his first day in hospice, coughing his lungs out from aspiration pneumonia. I cranked up "Green Grass and Hide Tides" by the Outlaws and promptly side ground the rear quarter of the car into the corner of a 4' by 4' concrete support post in an underground garage.
The same post I had avoided for years. Emotional baggage. Alzheimer's is a ****ing nasty disease for the patient and the family. I don't wish it on anyone. Oh, and it runs in my family. ****ing yay.

Sorry Merica -- no more threadjacking. The two issues are forever entwined in my head and I can't seem to talk about one without the other

19bonestock88 09-23-2015 10:32 PM

I also heard of using an electric soldering iron and a zip tie to "weld in" the repair, not much dissimilar to TIG welding...

Or you could sand the point off, smear the gouges full of JB weld, wait for it to set up, sand down flush, prime, paint, and clear...

There's no way to blend the paint to the point of not being able to tell at all, but it could be feathered so that it wouldn't be easy to spot...

Or you could plasti-dip the car, and choose your own color/mix a custom one...

derf 09-24-2015 12:02 AM

i like the zip tie idea.

What else I did with my saturn today--I took my neighbor's son downtown -- I think it was an A A meeting but didn't ask. He's had drug issues in the past. I don't judge, I just help.

uncljohn 09-24-2015 09:07 AM

Derf.
The soldering iron and Zip ties works, I have used it but like anything else it is a BUT. You have to finish things down for painting. And I guess you don't have to be a painter t be one. I've never claimed I was one but I do my own. If you have a compressor, harbor freight frankly has some adequate spray guns for us amateurs, not that a good gun is important, cheap guns have become good.
Sanding down is the first step, next step is heavy fill primer and again sanding and then using a jam gun with gravity feed you can get a good job done that will impress yourself.
As to the following:
"Alzheimer's is a ****ing nasty disease for the patient and the family. I don't wish it on anyone. Oh, and it runs in my family. ****ing yay."
In Spades!
I managed to screw up my back (dang getting old is so much fun) again and am walking with a big Gimp!
That say Alcohol relives pain but if it shows up in my blood tests the VA will cut me off of pain pills. So I grit my teeth and deal with it. But I am going out to do a final tune on my Hornet and then back it out through the garage and get temporary tags on it so I can get it aligned. But that opens the door to starting to prep the 94 SC2 for paint (again) to getting it looking nice again. A lot of sanding will need to be done for sure this time around. But have to do it and the Hornet. Good luck!!!

derf 09-24-2015 11:43 AM

Today I took my 95 SC2 to a seasoned professional mechanic in town who I trust.
He drove the car for a while, listened to the exhaust, which is very putt putt y,

His opinion is that the engine was assembled incorrectly and that the exhaust valve timing is off. He said the car can run well in this config at speed ( I assume depending on which direction the exhaust cam timing is off, since at speed you have a timing advance + PCM trying to compensate. However it will idle like **** w out the timing advance.)

I knew just enough about engines when the reman was put in (out of town rush job) to think I could solve it myself. Always thought out of time at ALL meant piston crunching for interference engines.

Guess not.

Always suspected a timing issue -- never thought valve mistiming would actually leave you w a running vehicle.

So ultimately I was right about the issue being timing related -- just too stubborn to ask for help.
Andy's been working with me on tackling this; I want to thank him for his advice and guidance during the troubleshooting process. He is a stand-up guy who does not "keep everything he knows to himself."

Please do not pepper him with PM's regarding your vehicle; we want Andy to stay.......
----------------------------------------------
Sad day in the life of my 20 year old beauty