Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

What did you do to your S series today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:48 PM

Restored fog light switch, but lights no workie. Still working on it. Also received a new shifter cable. They'll go on when I have the car serviced next along with a shifter bushing, tire rotation, oil change, serpentine belt, and a brake disk grind.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

you can do all that at home (except resurfacing the rotors, which, at some locations, costs almost the same a buying a new one).

With the coin you save you can buy me a present

Old 04-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

A couple of weekends ago, my brother n law and I replaced just the pwr window motor on the 95 SC2.

The thing was obviously designed NOT to be separately replaceable.

My question is WHY.

Rivets in practically inaccessible locations
Drill 1, recontort door innards, do another, recontort
Regulator arms you need to bend open the ends of the tracks on to release them so you have play to shift things

Rube Is this what you sent Unc w a window attached?

Anyway after several hours of my BIL getting more pissed off than I've seem him in a long time, we greased it all up, put it back together and all is well.

PITFA

Oh and the left side window motor bearing is shot

Old 04-01-2016, 04:32 PM

I would if I could Derf, but all I have is a parking lot, a cheap 1/4' socket set, some screw drivers, pliers, a hammer and a flashlight.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:07 AM

I've changed the drivers side window motor twice and the passemger side once. And GM sells the assembly as a replacement part for well over $200.00.
Rock auto sells the motor only as a GM part number with GM paper work and marked made in china. Yup a lot of dissasembly. And no, it was not made to replace the motor by itself and junk yard parts are hard to deal with as rust becomes an issue when trying to get apart.
Sorry for all caps, had an auto accident with chrysler, totaled it and broke my arm.
But if you can get it all apart you can replace mtr by itself. It does help motor if you wash and then apply paste wax to window.

Last edited by uncljohn; 04-02-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

sorry to hear about the crash. You are obviously injured; hope val is ok.
Yes we put in the RockAuto ACDelco? Chinese motor and as explained it was fun.

Didn't even think to look for a gm part; figured the supply was exhausted 10 years ago. Already bought the motor for the driver's door.

This was the 1st failure for the power window motors on the car, but the windows didn't get used a whole lot

Old 04-02-2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by derf
A couple of weekends ago, my brother n law and I replaced just the pwr window motor on the 95 SC2.

The thing was obviously designed NOT to be separately replaceable.

My question is WHY.

Rivets in practically inaccessible locations
Drill 1, recontort door innards, do another, recontort
Regulator arms you need to bend open the ends of the tracks on to release them so you have play to shift things

Rube Is this what you sent Unc w a window attached?

Anyway after several hours of my BIL getting more pissed off than I've seem him in a long time, we greased it all up, put it back together and all is well.

PITFA

Oh and the left side window motor bearing is shot
No derf, I just sent UNC the regulator and motor without the window. And I agree that it was a royal PITFA. But I did it because I wanted to help Unc out because I had access to the parts at the time. The junk yards around here SUCK!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

I'm surprised you found one

Old 06-28-2016, 11:27 AM

Turned 180k on the odometer... Woohoo!!! Cleaned it up a bit and topped off the fluids. Next is sunroof motor and trying to nail down a master window switch with the power mirror controls... Passenger side switch is flakey. Tried to refurbish it but it only worked good for about 2 weeks.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 PM

Over many days in the last month, things I've done to my s series are; all new plugs, wires, pcv, muffler, fuel filter, oil change, recharged air filter, brakes at all 4 corners, coolant temperature sensor, both oxygen sensors, 4 new tires, crank position sensor, headlight lens resurfaced, coils and front sway bar bushings.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your S series today?