Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Rebirth of a SC2 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 02:37 PM

So today I decided to take the clutch hydros off and fill and bleed them. Was a messy job but I have clutch pedal again. I thought maybe by some chance that's all that was wrong with the clutch but it seems the guy that replaced the clutch installed it backwards. 🤦 So now I have to pull the tranny and install it the right way. Blah... I just hope that's what is really the issue.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Aaron Broussard
So today I decided to take the clutch hydros off and fill and bleed them. Was a messy job but I have clutch pedal again. I thought maybe by some chance that's all that was wrong with the clutch but it seems the guy that replaced the clutch installed it backwards. 🤦 So now I have to pull the tranny and install it the right way. Blah... I just hope that's what is really the issue.
I hate when that happens.

I usually take a pic of anything I'm about to disassemble. But that's just me.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Welcome to ownership of a first-generation coupe. The mods that did exist are mostly gone. Even the spare parts needed to keep it running are are mostly gone. Many are the same as second generation but many are not.

1) H&R Sport Lowering Springs Saturn SC/SC1/SC2/SL/SL1/SL2 (90-95) 54340 appear to fit a 94 Sc2

​https://www.redline360.com/hr-sport-lowering-springs-saturn-sc-sc1-sc2-sl-sl1-sl2-54340​​​​​

H&R springs pt # 54340

2) https://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/bg-79-1-001.html. 91-02 ???
Assuming part # bg-79-1

Your best source for everything you need to turbo the car is a part out by someone on Sixthsphere.com (these are die hard and very knowledgeable s car dudes. If you act like a jackass or answer questions with guesses as a newbie, you will be banned. Takes a while to earn respect around there but they are a nice group of people that know their shayt. And the vast majority of them have turboed their s cars but are reaching an age where they want to move on.

​​​​​​Please do NOT say I referred you.

Use only ngk 5643 copper plugs unless you enjoy unnecessary P0341 codes, misfires, and such. 36k miles change. Change your PCV valve now before you blow out the cam cover gasket. If you don't clean the EGR valve at this mileage, by the time it throws a code it will be too gummed up to save.

Sorry for the off topic advice. Just passing it on as it comes to mind.
Ive found many replacement parts for the car so I'm not too worried about keeping it running. I met a guy on sixsphere that lives in my city that has a 95 SC2 coupe that's going to let me pull as many parts as I want off it including the rear glass I need. I'm Iot really going for a ton of power or even a ton of boost. 5lbs and I'll be happy. I'm focusing on the cosmetics, ride comfort, audio and style of the car more than anything. This will probably be the last winter my VW will see so I'm going to need another daily by spring, maybe summer. Any suggestions on other things I should pull off the donor car before he crushes it? Any hard to find parts maybe? Appreciate the response

Old 10-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Power door lock switches, power window switch, center console three button pod (defroster, fog lights and probably s s blank.

Power window regulators. You will likely not have another chance to get these as spares, so do.

Spare factory fogs.

I'd say multi function switch, but I believe the steering wheel has to come off. You can still get those aftermarket.

Tail and side marker lights front. Don't force them until you see how they are held in. Cigarette lighter housing, trim ring and associated wiring harnesses. Headlight wiring and plug which the wiring goes to. Headlight motors (RandL are not identical).

Think of it as your own personal limitrd time only salvage yard. If you truly plan on driving this indefinitely, build your parts cache now.

That means body panels, other exterior stuff. You'll be likely searching long and hard to find a first gen in a yard as they have been thoroughly stripped by now and the rest of the car crushed.

Hell, maybe buy it as a parts car

No beefed up internals needed for 5psi boost. Good move.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:30 PM

Doing some research on megasquirt today. There's seems to be many options. What would be best for my car? Only going to run 5psi of boost. Don't plan to do very much more than to the motor other than maybe replacing internals.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

If you are going to replace internals, you might as well put in forgrd parts and run higher boost. Otherwise it's a cash sink you don't really need. You can run up to I think 7 psi on a stock DOHC. So no need to beef up internals just for that.

No experience with megasquirt but I have always heard that anything higher than a 50 shot risks engine damage.

Also, it is not advisable to highly boost or run nitrous on a tired engine like yours, as the existing wear can lead failure more quickly than for a younger engine. At least that's what I've read

Old 10-13-2018, 09:28 PM

Started tearing it down today and found some interesting things. Coil packs will need replacing. They are very corroded. Upper motor mount looks a bit worn so I'll be replacing all if them just for good meaures. Guy didn't even tighten down the ball joint castle nuts all the way nor did he put a pin in them 🤦 Forgot some tools at home and started to run out of time so all that's left is to pull the tranny off the block and flip the clutch around. Going to check the throwout bearing too just in case that's installed wrong as well... Installing the new rear window glass next weekend as well. Once I get the clutch situated I'm going to put everything back together and test the clutch. Then back up in the air for suspension work in the coming weeks.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Been years since I've seen a Teal Coupe...

Old 10-13-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Been years since I've seen a Teal Coupe...
Too bad the paint isn't that great. 😑

Old 10-13-2018, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

You'll get to it.

Please repaint it that same stock color.

Only car I've ever seen that color, and because of the body lines of the 1st Gen coupes, it works with out looking girlie.

In contrast, the sedans look dopey in that color, especially w the black bumpers

Still a different kind of car.

Quick Reply: Rebirth of a SC2 coupe