Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Rebirth of a SC2 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:43 PM
Default Rebirth of a SC2 coupe

INTRODUCTION

Hey everyone, I'm Aaron and this is my new ‘94 SC2 coupe, Aloura. She has 154k miles and bone stock. I purchased her for $400. She sat in a hay barn for 20 years. A friend of mine bought her to learn how to drive a stick and ended up frying the clutch. This guy has no mechanical experience whatsoever and decided to try and tackle the job. Well in doing so he tore up all the suspension components during removal, installed the clutch backwards and even after taking it apart a second time to fix it, still managed to have no clutch. For some odd reason he thought he had a bad slave cylinder and attempted to replace it but didn't refill the hydraulic system correctly and we'll, still had no clutch and decided to give up on it. That's where I come in and gave him an offer to haul it away. And that's when she became mine. Most everything is in decent condition but does need a few things. Has a busted out rear drivers side window, needs tires and a battery and needs the hydraulic lines burped and filled correctly. Interior is actually very nice for just sitting in a barn all those years. I thought the leather would be dry rotted but it's still really soft. Got a few plans for this project and going to put my main focus on suspension and looks. I will be boosting her as well but not to an extreme level. My goal is going to be 200 at the wheel with a clean look to make a fun daily driver and civic killer. Everyone in my town runs ****ty civics and think just because they have a loud exhaust and a body kit they are a race car. Now I am a civic owner but my civic has been tuned and has more than just a muffler. However, I want to pull up in something different and unexpected. I will be using this thread to document this project. This is my first Saturn so I know I may have questions and I have already read so much on this forum. Look for updates in the coming weeks.

Last edited by Aaron Broussard; 10-04-2018 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Update year
Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Love the color on that bad boy. Like derf said in the other post, make sure you check the oil weekly. The DOHC's are NOTORIOUS for being oil burners. The SOHC I had in mine didn't use any oil at all. Kind of strange.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Love the color on that bad boy. Like derf said in the other post, make sure you check the oil weekly. The DOHC's are NOTORIOUS for being oil burners. The SOHC I had in mine didn't use any oil at all. Kind of strange.
Any ideas to why the burn oil?

Old 10-04-2018, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Oil control rings
valve guide seals

Old 10-04-2018, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Umm I could swear the car was a 93 back when you joined........???????? ?

Old 10-04-2018, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Umm I could swear the car was a 93 back when you joined........???????? ?
Lol! Yeah until I got the title lol

Old 10-06-2018, 08:38 AM

So I'm starting to scout out suspension components and I'm having a hard time finding lowering springs. Everything is for the 96-2001 models. Would springs for those models fit properly on my 94?

Old 10-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Based on what I can find, the front ones are the same, but NOT the rear ones. IDK what the change would be.

Old 10-06-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Based on what I can find, the front ones are the same, but NOT the rear ones. IDK what the change would be.
Thanks for your response. I'm still doing some digging to see if I can find a set of springs made for my car because trying to retro fit a different year

Old 10-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to ownership of a first-generation coupe. The mods that did exist are mostly gone. Even the spare parts needed to keep it running are are mostly gone. Many are the same as second generation but many are not.

1) H&R Sport Lowering Springs Saturn SC/SC1/SC2/SL/SL1/SL2 (90-95) 54340 appear to fit a 94 Sc2

​https://www.redline360.com/hr-sport-lowering-springs-saturn-sc-sc1-sc2-sl-sl1-sl2-54340​​​​​

H&R springs pt # 54340

2) https://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/bg-79-1-001.html. 91-02 ???
Assuming part # bg-79-1

Your best source for everything you need to turbo the car is a part out by someone on Sixthsphere.com (these are die hard and very knowledgeable s car dudes. If you act like a jackass or answer questions with guesses as a newbie, you will be banned. Takes a while to earn respect around there but they are a nice group of people that know their shayt. And the vast majority of them have turboed their s cars but are reaching an age where they want to move on.

​​​​​​Please do NOT say I referred you.

Use only ngk 5643 copper plugs unless you enjoy unnecessary P0341 codes, misfires, and such. 36k miles change. Change your PCV valve now before you blow out the cam cover gasket. If you don't clean the EGR valve at this mileage, by the time it throws a code it will be too gummed up to save.

Sorry for the off topic advice. Just passing it on as it comes to mind.

Quick Reply: Rebirth of a SC2 coupe