Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

New user with a head scratcher 97SC1

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

What is the pressure after you start the car cold? Are you saying it drops to 17 while running, then stalls?

Have you replaced the fuel filter? I can't see your posts right now and I don't remember.. If not, I would do so to make sure there is not a clog pushing forward and dropping all the pressure across it.

Also, remember this is a fuel system with a return line. The fuel pressure (max) is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator near the fuel rail. Only 3rd gen s cars have the regulator inside the fuel filter.

Therefore, any fuel not used returns to the tank. In theory. Check for leaks while running back by the front of the driver rear wheel. That is where the three lines from the fuel pump connect to the lines that run forward.

Also time how long it takes for the fully primed pressure to bleed off by turning the key to on, then simply monitoring the pressure.

Just trying to make sure we rule out all the other possibilities before dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Knowing how the car cuts out, it now makes sense that the codes that set were bogus, resulting from the current to the PCM getting cut and having insufficient or unregulated voltage across things.

That is the danger in immediately reading codes and then running to the parts store. A simple stall can coincidentally meet the criteria for this or that code...but it doesn't always mean it's valid. We always recommend that you clear all the codes and diagnose what comes back.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Aux cooling fan

Glad that works. That semi validates the ECTS which, if it fails open circuit, will never turn on that fan.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:04 PM

Derf, hey yeah I have changed the fuel filter (its one piece with pre connected hose to the rail), and i also replaced the regulator. What it did was ran for about 10 minutes idling and soon as it started choking out, my fuel pressure dropped down. From a cold crank I am thinking it was mid 40s and constant 39 on pressure (my notebook is at home and I am at work again). Yeah I know I kinda went off the deep end on replacing parts, not my best moment.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:07 PM

Now I will say, under the car near driver's side wheel, I did notice a crease in my supply line. Like if you take a straw and bend it enough in the exact same spot over and over again. It isnt kinked, but it isn't normal shape either (if that makes sense). I can try to take a photo in the morning. Now I know on Hondas of the same era, there is a hatch under the rear seats to gain access to the fuel pump. No such luck on Sally is there? And also, on the fuel return line, is it literally just exactly that? A drain line to return unused fuel? Never worked on vehicle with setup like this. Thank you for your continued support guys