Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Banned
Default Crank but no start

I have a 2000 Saturn sc1 that will crank but not start I also don't have dash light and I believe the fuel pump isn't turning on. I've changed all relays and fuses. I've checked the cps and ignition module, changed spark plugs and now I'm at a lost hoping someone can help me figure this out.please I don't wanna give up on this car

Old 09-24-2016, 07:00 AM

STOP shot gunning parts at it. You're just making it harder to figure out. The first thing you need to do is run codes on it and post them here. You need 4 things in order for your car to start. They are (in no particular order) Spark, fuel, air and compression. And the spark needs to be a nice blue/white color. If it's orange or red looking, it's not strong enough. First things first, pull the codes and post back. We're willing to help, but you're wasting your hard earned cash by just hoping you buy the right replacement part. It MIGHT be as simple as the ECTS, but we won't get into that yet. GET THE CODES READ AND POST THEM, pretty please.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 AM

If you don't have an OBD Scanner and don't have access to one, I can help you get the codes. Look at this diagram I'm posting here. L-Series 2.2L/3.0L ? S-Series 1.9L (1995 ? 2005) ? OBD/OBD2 Trouble Codes
If you don't have a scanner, you can bend a paper clip and insert one end into port #8 and the other into port #16. Then, turn the key to the start position, but don't crank it. This will activate your Check Engine Light. You count the number of times the light flashes. Each code will flash 3 times and then go to the next code. For example, a code 33 would be 3 flashes of the light, a pause and 3 more flashes. It will do that three times in a row and then on to the next code. If you get a 12 or 55, that means there are no codes stored. And when to get a 12 or 55, that means the computer is done and you just turn the key off and remove the wire. I hope this helps you. The computer port is under the steering wheel panel as shown in the picture. You MIGHT need a flash light to find it the first time.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Banned

When I got the car it didn't have a battery so the codes were reset and with no dash lights working I can't use the paper clip trick. I used that on my Chevy truck. I'm pretty much rebuilding this Saturn using one that has a blown engine so I wanna make sure I fix the issue with the good one but I can't figure out and not being able to run codes isn't helping much

Old 09-24-2016, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Does it have spark to all plugs? Hold the curvy part of the electrode to a non painted frame area or bracket with AN ELECTRICALLY NON CONDUCTIVE TOOL ( one w rubber insulation) and you should see spark. Please report results.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Moved to S coupe section

Old 09-25-2016, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Oh __. Pull the fu3l injector fuse while checking for spark

Old 09-25-2016, 06:51 PM

That's a GOOD idea, derf. I'm surprised I didn't suggest that! LMAO Like I even have a clue how anything works anymore. Punkrockgurl606, have you at least TRIED the paper clip trick? You know just for S*&%s and giggles?

Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

Hello????? Echo.....echo.....echo.....

Old 09-29-2016, 08:15 AM

I hope she comes back and lets us know what's up.

Quick Reply: Crank but no start