Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Another rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:55 AM

He called me, decided a fully built motor, with a big turbo. Estimated goal of 500 whp.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

might as well do rear wheel drive while you're at it. LSJ swap or DOHC?

Gonna need some beefy torque axis mounts for that puppy

Old 01-09-2016, 12:43 PM

got little done over the Christmas break, was at the in-law's all new year's weekend. I hope all had a merry Christmas. I was kind of bummed, my father in law had moved his 79' Corvette to storage and I didn't get to see it. We are buying it from him making monthly payments until it's paid in full. Will be a couple of years before it moves to my own garage, but my garage isn't ready for it yet anyway. But I digress.

Got a lot done on my cylinder head in the first week of the new year, still a long way to go. Wondering what kind of valve spring compressor works best on these heads, I got the keepers out of the valves well enough but not sure how I'm going to get them back in. none of my valve spring compressors fit.

On the subject of valve springs, I don't know how I did it, but I lost one spring somewhere between home and my hanger at work where I am doing most of the work. It's probably lying in my back yard under the snow. I'm sure someone has a few lying around, but I need to find out who. ebay was no help.

Anyway, I have done a mild port and polish on the head. Lots of casting lines and rough areas removed without enlarging any chambers. With all of that garbage in the way of the flow, I can't believe I won't see a least some modest gains for the effort.

With the help of my boys, will be lapping the valves later today. No fancy three angle grinds are planned, I expect that would be useless effort and not at all effective given the rpm this engine turns.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:26 PM

While you have the head apart:

Earlier model(93) valves are flat faced(not dished like the late model valves are), but same size, length, keeper as the late model... Installing these in your engine with the late model pistons will give a modest bump in compression... Supposedly, the 98 crank is lighter too...

There are lots of 1.9 builds over on sixth sphere, and I would also guess there are owners with spare parts...