Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Another rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 PM

I figured I would post here, instead of in the new member section...

As far as head porting goes, anything you can do to correct flow issues would have a net gain, but I would get a junkyard head to practice with, lest you hit a water jacket on your only head... As far as port size goes, however, it won't hurt to enlarge the ports, just make sure to blend the opening back into the runner for optimal flow... i would give the exhaust ports a mirror finish, and leave the intake ports at an 80-120grit finish to prevent fuel puddling...

Old 12-19-2015, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

you are too young to know this kinda stuff.

Stop surfing and go......I dunno.....just ....go

Old 12-19-2015, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

In all seriousness, I see you 5-10 years down the road building up your own custom performance engine design business or speed shop. I know production cars are always getting more powerful, and you can always buy an engine in a crate, it's totally different when you improve on something that;s already been optimized.

as long as your boost solenoid can open the bypass

Old 12-19-2015, 08:05 PM

today's progress: the balancer, removed oil pan, timing cover, I take manifold, cams, and finally the head.

Turns out the balancer retaining bolt is a normal right hand thread. I had to have my wife stand on the opposite corner while I leaned on my torque wrench that was set to 250 ft lbs. that did it. It finally came loose without clicking. It then popped off the shaft rather anti climaticly. Was expecting a bit more of a fight with the puller, the timing chain tensioner was pretty much all the way out indicating that the timing chain has been stretched quite a lot. I was planning to replace it anyway. Injectors looked fairly clean but I might get them tested anyway or just replace if not too costly.

Whas rather surprised to see that there was not an intake gasket. I guess I'll have to make my own template to port the intake side of the head and match it to the plastic manifold. Thinking cardboard or some clear acetate sheet ir something like that would work.

The chambers and piston faces were pretty well carboned up and there was a lot of carbon in the intake runners indicating intake valves not seating very well.

The valves were also carbon covered, I haven't checked to see if they seal well. I'll check that before pulling the valves out.

Tomorrow will be all about cleaning parts and measuring for bearing clearances as I pull apart the block.i can't order my kit until I have those measurements. I'll also measure the bores although they look pretty darn good. I can still see the factory crosshatching and it looks evenly worn with no discernible ridges at the top.

The head gasket- I could not find a place where I could say it blew out, but the gasket was very well corroded at all of the water jacket openings.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by derf
In all seriousness, I see you 5-10 years down the road building up your own custom performance engine design business or speed shop. I know production cars are always getting more powerful, and you can always buy an engine in a crate, it's totally different when you improve on something that;s already been optimized.

as long as your boost solenoid can open the bypass

To be honest, my dream is to run a speed shop... The issue is that there isn't that great a demand for a speed shop in my area...

All I can do is read, learn, and dream, because the reality is that it'll never happen...

Last edited by goaliemo; 12-28-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by goaliemo
Ive heard good things about poly bushings for the s-cars.
Im sure someone who actually drives one has a better input though
I had the SDA TAM mount and dogbones in mine after my rebuild. Vibration and rattles were up but it did help control wheel hop. its been awhile since ive had it but i did like those mounts. never had issues with them, too bad SDA is dead and gone.
Never got around to doing poly bushings before i crunched the front end

In reference to the pulling the trans. It is possible to remove trans from motor, but it will have to come out of the bottom/drivers side wheel well. I dropped the cradle to do my manual swap, but honestly, its more pain than its worth and I found it easier to pull the whole assembly (which i found out when the diff pin fairy visited me a handful of months after the swap was done) then you can clean everything nicely and replace seals easily if needed.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
To be honest, my dream is to run a speed shop... The issue is that there isn't that great a demand for a speed shop in my area...

All I can do is read, learn, and dream, because the reality is that it'll never happen...

The guy who opened the one by me didn't think it was going to take off, so he built a storage facility into the building as well (for classics/high dollar cars)
He claims he made his money back just on performance work within the first 6 months of being opened. I would've of believed it if I didn't see several customer projects sitting there
G6 getting a 1900 put on with all supports, tuned, dyno
Vette was getting built, turbo'd, and stripped for the track
They were doing something with an sti
GTR came back for a fuel pump upgrade because it wasn't enough for whatever was done to it.

To think, these cars are in my area, but I have NEVER seen em on the road. It is beyond crazy.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:40 PM

Still, the speed shop thing isn't gonna happen for me, for an extra couple reasons:

1. I don't earn enough money at work to save meaningfully toward anything at all like that, and the wife would kill me for not spending the money on a house...

2. Other people in the area are just as broke as I am, preventing their being able to pay(not that they wouldn't want work done)

Old 12-30-2015, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Movin' to the country,
gonna eat a lot of peaches
Movin' to the country,
Gonna eat me a lot of peaches

Get outta dodge when you can, THEN start chasing the dream

Old 12-30-2015, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator

Helomech,

sorry for derailing the thread.

Where are you at in the rebuild?

Last edited by derf; 12-30-2015 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Another rebuild thread