Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

ABORTED Derf's SC2 Double Swap Thread 97SC2 to 95 SC2

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 07:42 AM

There's no shame in admitting you don't want to do this, derf. Most of the engine swaps I ever did were out of necessity, not for pleasure. Put the black one back together and get rid of it. Sometimes you just have to let go. Take your time doing the work on the white car and TRY to enjoy it as best as you can.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

I don't feel shame, I feel kinda sick. This car predates my marriage. It has many miles on it that indirectly lead to where I am today.

I've never had to sell a car in my life. All of my other vehicles were duds and hand me downs that self-destructed. I guess I just don't know what it's like to be attached to something for so long and to let it go. It's family at this point. But I understand I have to get myself out of that mindset. It's four wheels, an engine, a piece of transportation that can go to somebody in need of one. Guess I'm not good at being practical about this stuff seeing as I've had two of these in the driveway for the 8 years I've lived outside of Pittsburgh.

Having started on it, it's not so much of it being a challenge anymore, or having the confidence. It's the complete lack of Joy or anything like it associated with doing the work. I really thought I would enjoy it more given the mental investment in these vehicles. Then again I'm 54 and most people do this for the first time at 24. Like I said, priorities change. In reality my priorities have been the same for a long time. I've just never dealt with the Saturns although I still freaking love to drive those cars, especially the white car. So I won't have the best of both worlds going forward. I've come to terms with the fact that at the end of the day I don't really care that much. At least not as much as I thought I did.

Thanks for understanding. Please let me know how much the charge is for therapy and I will send it along accordingly.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

And over all these years, I only did one 360 in Wisconsin in the snow, only clipped the edge of a bridge while hydroplaning and scraped the side of an elevated Farmers field with two wheels in the ditch after the aforementioned bridge trying to slow the vehicle down with the front tires pointed to the left and the car going straight.

I've backed into a bunch of shyte with little damage to this or other objects. All of the body damage occurred in 12 days. And I did take a snowy curve a bit too fast, traveled completely straight and got the car stuck on top of a huge log at the edge of a different Farmer's field. It took five complete strangers who stopped to push the back of the vehicle the rest of the way over the log while I had the front tires spinning. The exhaust was not terribly Happy but I was on my way home. For reference, I had taken that turn probably twice every day for 10 years and I knew better but shyte happens.

I consider all of these good memories 🤪🙃😉😀❗🖖😭😠😬😧🌞🌝🌝🌝🌝🌝

Old 10-21-2021, 10:16 PM

Exactly how I feel about ions these days. After ive broken down and rebuilt I don't know how many.
it happens. I'm saving one now for the need of a car while I wait on an engine for my stratus. Also waiting on paperwork for my VW so I feel better about actually getting that running.

It happens.

Oh. He doesn't live in West Virgin country anymore. Hes out in Kentucky with like 3 girlfriends or something. I dont know. I dont Facebook anymore.

And again. If you need rust free parts, let me know.
Hell, drive it down here a weekend I'm off with some cash and we can junkyard hop and make it a rust free car. My rat infested shop will hopefully be down a car and a trailer soon. More importantly I'm trying to evict the rats. But that's a different battle.

Last edited by DropDead; 10-21-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:10 AM

Quit feeding the rats and they'll leave, Billy. Kind of like relatives do! LOL

Old 10-22-2021, 10:48 AM

Car wasnt in there 24 hours and they were building a nest on my front seat. I was livid. Maybe it was 48 hours. But still.

Old 10-22-2021, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

The only rust is the subframe, but if I put $$ into that, then I need to do the body work and paint or shall I say pay someone else to do it and since I am already committed to do so for the white vehicle, I can't see spending it on both. I guess I would skip the body and paint on the black car and sell as is.

What's the cheapest rat free subframe that also has no rust? I think you said 400 before. New ones straight from GM or 600. Yes they are in stock. No no one ever bought them.

Old 10-22-2021, 09:51 PM

I think I can get them 150-200 now. I'll have to double check that.
and shipping would be insane. That was probably in the 400 price I gave you. Would literally be cheaper to drive here and get it.

Well I just looked. One yard has an "engine cradle" for $75 and another has a subframe for 200.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

What's the difference betw them besides $125?

Old 10-24-2021, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

One yard has it in the building taking up space and the other yard would have to remove it. Most likely.

Quick Reply: ABORTED Derf's SC2 Double Swap Thread 97SC2 to 95 SC2