Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

1995 Saturn SC1

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Default 1995 Saturn SC1

I just got a 1995 Saturn SC1. It has lots of problems but for $400 I couldn't pass up a running car that should get better gas mileage than my project car.

The main thing that I am aware of currently, besides a bad oil/tranny leak is it will not restart after it warms up. It starts, runs a little rough for a few seconds and then smooths out and idles fine. And it will restart fine while it's still cold. But after warming up the engine it will not restart. It still turns over (cranks over) but wont actually start. Also the seats are broken... as in they wont stay where you set them. Hoping to find a ok set in a junkyard.

Any idea's of what I should look into first?

Also what are the known problems with these cars?

Last edited by RipperXX; 01-23-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Replace the
ETCS and Connector
buy it fron a Saturn dealer or you get junk

Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 PM

What is the ETCS and why do you think it is the culprit? (I just want to know why I am doing it and what it does)

Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 PM

Well I did a little looking around, and if I am right. The "ECTS" Stands for Engine coolant temp sensor. Is that what you meant when you said "ETCS" ?

Also I noted when messing with it a few min ago, that shortly after start up the radiator fan came on, which made no since. The upper radiator hose felt a tad bit warm but no reason for the fan to kick on. Also the low coolant light was on, so I checked it, sure enough the coolant expansion tank was low, so I mixed some antifreeze and distilled water added like a gallon. Restarted the car (idled rough for a moment that time didn't on the initial start up) Looked at the dash and the light was out..or maybe it just took it a min to come on because 30sec later I looked and it was back on. Even though the tank had plenty in it then.

I also found a small amount of coolant dripping from the front drivers side. My guess is the radiator has those stupid plastic end tanks and there is a crack. This thing is quickly starting to look like it may have not been worth the $400.

Last thing, how common is it for there to be a tranny leak around the filter and or dipstick?

Old 01-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

correct on ects def--usually go bad in the opposite direction (car thinks coolant is -40 C but if coolant fan comes on at startup, yours is likely failed in opposite direction (car thinks it is quite warm all the time, Indeed, this will skew the fuel mix very lean in your case and make starting in general difficult but starting when warm especially hard as the mix is just too lean. ECTS + Connector --- dealer

As for coolant leak-- yes plastic end caps on radiator -- they tend to develop stress cracks right near where they mount (top and bottom) to the car on the driver's side. Replace with a no-name brand and you'll be doing it again in a year -- use something reputable. Do not let it overheat or you risk warping the head,

Seats --see if yours was ever brought in for this recall:

Vehicle Component Manufacturer 1994-1995 SATURN SC1 SEATS Recall
1994-1995 SATURN SC1 SEATS

Units affected:
138691 GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Report Date: 1999-03-12

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. SOME FRONT SEAT BACK RECLINER GEAR TEETH MAY WEAR EXCESSIVELY THROUGH REPEATED USE, AND COULD CAUSE THE SEAT BACK TO SLIP PARTIALLY REARWARD WHEN FORCE IS APPLIED.

Tranny -- not my forte, (Where IS OceanArcher?)

Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Thank you for the input. There are no Saturn dealers here, but I would think I could go through a Chevrolet dealer for the ECTS, plug and the recall issue? Since I assume that was listed as a "safety" recall, federal law means they have to fix it if it was never done, no matter the age of the car right?

Also, is there more than one engine coolant temp sensor? Like one for the gauge in the dash and one for the ECU? Another question, is the radiator fan controlled by the ECU, or a temp switch?

Last edited by RipperXX; 01-24-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

95 had 2 temp sensors -- 2 wire is the ECTS, single wire is for the dash gauge --- you want the 2 wire sensor --- get the brass style replacement

the aux rad fan is triggered off the temp reading received by the PCM/ECU from the ECTS. The PCM then commands an an aux fan relay to engage the fan.

Recall -- I would find the nearest Saturn dealer and CALL about the recall -- give them vin and they will be able to tell you if recall was ever done. Once armed with the info, THEN tell the Chevy dealer it has not had the recall work performed....