Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

1995 SC1 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 PM

I have a 95 manual tran SC1. About two months ago, I parked it because it overheated. I haven't had the dough to fix it just yet (particularly considering the potential diagnoses I've heard it could be from friends). Now that income tax return time is here, I'd like to get this thing fixed and give my dad his car back . Here are my symptoms:-Car has been mysteriously using oil since I bought it (Sept. 07)-Mechanic took brief look after oil change and discovered no evidence of leaking or smoking-Had to feed it oil every few weeks-Ran fine-One day started to sound "louder" (still may be the muffler--but I've been told this may be sound of cracked engine block)-Out of the blue, it overheated, heater in car would not come on to alleviate the engine heat-Once pulled over, realized that there was oil in the antifreeze (I had previously checked just to check levels, and antifreeze looked perfectly green at that point, but when I dumped AF into the radiator after it over heated, I got a brown-green liquid, and antifreeze would not go down)If you have any idea as to what this could be, please help!!! I've been told it could be a cracked engine block or blown head gasket. Also, if anyone knows what the total diagnostic and repair cost would be, including price of whatever parts, that would be extremely helpful!
Thanks!Christine
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Probably a cracked head. Common with Saturn SOHC engines.

Repair cost varies by location. I'd just swap in a DOHC motor and not have to worry about it again. But then again I have my own personal Saturn parts department and what I dont have I can get very cheap at local junkyards.