Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

1995 to 1997 sc coupe headliner interchange

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 07:55 PM
Default 1995 to 1997 sc coupe headliner interchange

Can pull a headliner from a 95 model to install in my 97 model. Anybody know if these are the same? I can buy a nice one at the junkyard, looks redone, for 18 bucks. I know the taillights will not as I bought them and the 97 is different. Now I have 50 bucks yard credit and the liner would be fantastic if it will work. It looks the same and thy are both sunroof cars. I also want to test the roof as mine has the track issues and possibly someone had this one repaired and upgraded. Thanks for the advise.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

If your dead sunroof does not leak, keep the sunroof drains clear and don't touch it.

I highly doubt the headliner backing material is identical between 1st and 2nd generation coupes. You'll need to look that up on a parts site to see if the part numbers match. If they do not match, where are you because I need a 95 coupe headliner and I'm too lazy to do mine. If you've never taken one out of the vehicle on a Saturn S car, check the internet for the proper way to remove the dome light or you will break it. Seriously, you will. if you don't know how to take it out, you will break it. It will be broken.

Hopefully rube will see this post. He has done several S series headliners and he lives in the south where it is hotter than hell.

He probably has some tips for you. Also, I am pretty sure there are headliner videos on YouTube specific to a Saturn. One of the biggest pain in the asses it's getting the old bittle trim off without breaking it and getting the headliner out through the door. I think you can do it if you flex it but you run the risk of breaking it. You're supposed to take off the dash. Don't know if anyone ever does.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:14 PM

I am in Georgia, You? I pulled mine out some months back as it was a mess. I had other problems to solve to make this $400 set of wheels mobile. New junkyard aluminum wheels with good tires $100. Front drivers axle leaking and after several seal destruction's got the right exhaust adapter to seat it. Axle had to be replaced to stop leak, previous moron drove it dry enough to damage the sealing surface. New axle and tie rod end, water pump and belts and she gets 30 mpg. This liner sure looks the same. I don't think they changed the roof line. I probably broke the light, don't remember. Plenty of saturns at the Atlanta yard.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

In all seriousness I have family outside Atlanta.
Now you have me curious...

Let me see what I can find......

Old 02-25-2020, 07:09 AM

The key to getting the old head liners out is taking your time. As derf mentioned, the damned plastic clips that hold the trim in are prone to breaking. I found that a slow, steady pull on them is the best method. Yanking only breaks things. IIRC, you should gently pry on one side of the dome light cover. 4 plastic tabs there that also like to snap. Then there's 2 screws to remove and drop the assembly down. Unplug the wire. Taking it out wasn't that difficult as I just let it down on the folded back seats and took it out the passenger side door. Just make sure when you put the replacement in that you tie a string or something around the wire plug for the dome light and thread it through the hole of the headliner. That way, you won't have to "fish around" with your finger trying to find it. Slow and steady wins the race and I'm about 95% certain that they're the same. Have fun with it.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:09 AM

I went back out there today. Its a nice headliner but the 97 has the third brake light and I believe that the liner for the 95 is to short. The rear window seems larger although I did no measuring. I know there is difference where the third brake light (which crumbles) is located as a 95 lacks it unless someone customized this one. Tail lights are different as I bought them and returned them.