Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

headliner glue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Default headliner glue?

i have a 96 saturn SL1 i have 3 sides of headliner being front midle and
1 left and right sides back ends of my headliner sagging any recommended
glue i should use? i really whant to glue it then to get it fixed.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 PM

i have redone a few headliners but theres more to it than just gluing it back up .

to be done correctly you need to pull it out .remove the fabric,then i take a drill with a cup brush and remove all the old material padding(the black stuff ).
once thats all out i go to a area fabric store and buy a matching color fabric thats not too thin (if its thin the glue will come thru).

or if you get some original headliner material it will have the backing on it .

when i am ready to spray glue i use 3m spray adhesive ,coat the headliner board with it lightly(its tacky as soon as it hits)then slowly lay the fabric over it .allow to dry overnight in a warm room.

once you done it it gets easier each time .

but its not a matter of simply peeling it back adding glue ,once the backing deteriorates (the reason its falling)theres nothing left to keep the glue from seeping thru the fabric .

if you dont care about looks you can peel it back lightly spray the glue and push the material back on .but i warn you ,the glue will probably seep thru doing it that way.

good luck

Old 12-28-2010, 10:38 PM

I gotta go along with John Doe on this. I have put the headliner back up on cars that I have owned, but they have been a vinyl material on a rather stiff headlner form. When my Saturn head liner came down and I realised the material I saved the money and had an upholstry shop take care of it.
It now looks like new.