Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

roof leaks???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Default roof leaks???

is this a common problem for me to be driving along and be drenched as ur driving along???? idk where all the water is coming from but the whole front of the headliner is soaked... so i hope i can figure out where its comin from

Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

Hmmmm -- unusual spot. Gotta ask though, do you have a sun roof?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 AM

If you have a sunroof, there should be some drains somewhere for it. You need to find them and clear them because that is not normal.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:06 PM

And if you have a sun roof, along with the possibility that the drains are plugged is the fact that most of the bits and pieces of it are plastic and life for the plastic is harsh in that location and the glass part probably no longer seals correctly and or the seals are bad.
Can it be fixed, probably, I have had mine fixed with in the last 5 years because I like the thing.
But to be honest? It is a high maintainence thing and with the age of the car and depending on where you go, my guess it could be between $500 and $1500 to have it fixed by a dealer and you have to decide that one.
It verywell could be more expense or money than the whole car or your interest in having it fixed is worth.
If the glass pops up and down when you close the door with the windows closed the tracks and what nots are broken.
But, check the drains to see if they are plugged.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

i think he drowned

Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 AM

He probably did. But thinking about when I had this take care of on mine, I was unable to buy parts off of this forum at the time so I ended up going to the dealer for an estimate and got something around $400.00 for the repair. I had been careful to keep it closed and not leaking into the car. The dealers actually did a lot of PR work still so they gave me the estimate and then washed the car for me. And when I got into it the headliner was destroyed from the water. It had problems but it stil upset me.
And then 6 or so weeks later when I had the money I went back and the nice man with the clip board very carefully explained to me why had to have $3500 in repairs including a $1500.00 moon roof repair to fix things.
And when we got done talking, neither one of us were very happy, but he was unhappier than I was.
But I still had to pay about $700.00 to get it fixed and take it back twice to do so. That is when I really realised Saturn was in trouble and their people friendly oriented sales room had turned into a horror show.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

<threadjack>

unc have you redone the headliner in your coupe?

</threadjack>

Old 11-20-2011, 11:27 PM

yuh, I have, I had it done when I went through it a few years back. I had it done at an upholstry shop. They have the tools and the material and the knowledge to deal with it and in my case where so much of the snap in platic bits and pieces are brittle and I am frankly afraid to touch certain things, they are use to dealing with problems like that and know how to deal with it effectively.
They did a good job. New headliner and the sliding door for the moon roof and fit and finish was killer good. I even ended up with extra parts to replace broken bits and pieces on the moon roof and the Switches and lights for the overhead consule that runs everything.
And frankly breakage became a problem and it was solved. I do a lot of my own work, good uphostry work is out of my league.

Last edited by uncljohn; 11-20-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: to add!