Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Yesterday was a big day as I was

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Thumbs up Yesterday was a big day as I was

able to order the interior seat material to have the drivers seat re-upholstered along with the rear seat back both of which have been heavily damaged by exposure to the sun. The passenger seat has held up fairly well so will not be included. However as the car is a 94 the material is almost as available as unobtainium. But a supply of it was found some where on the East Coast. That was the up side. The down side is that as the material is almost extinct, the material cost will be high and the repairs are looking at a $600.00 bill.
But it will be included with the seats being re-upholstered for my Hornet Street Rod project. Of course that is not going to be cheap either at a $1100.00 pop. On top of that I already have spent some where in the area of 6 or 7 hundred on material for it. Most of which includes paint, sound deadening material and new rugs and a dashboard cover.
The Saturn sure drives nice with the new Hankook tires I installed. A new pair on the front and the almost new pair that were there but about 3 years old are now on the back.
Carvel at AATCO upholstery has some some really nice work for me so far so no complaints.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:20 PM

Unc it's gonna feel good kicking back on those new seat skins.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 PM

It is kind of exciting when even something as mundane as getting upholstery repaired is part of taking care of things. Upholstery work is not cheap, it takes a while to save the money to have it done and it is largely something I can not do. So today was spent vacuuming out accumulated dirt that hides where you can not see it until the seats are out. Washing things that needed washing and in general spiffing things up a bit. The material is faded and although I am sure the replacement material is OEM color, there will be a noticeable difference as the passenger seat the the bottom cushion from rear seat is not part of redoing things. But it won't be tore up any longer and the head liner is only 3 years old. The thing drives down the road well, runs fine and will please me. You can not ask for much better than that. The new Hankook tires make it feel as if the car is new. I guess on one hand about $700.00 to get that done is on the pricey side but on the other hand a new car is a whole bunch more and I am not sure the price paid for one buys one a whole bunch better.
I'll see what Monday brings now.
Next? To redo the paint job I screwed up.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 AM

I stopped by the Upholstery shopped to see the re-done seats I had asked to be taken care of. They do look nice. Carvelle from Aatco should bring them by some time next week and then they will be installed. The paint still looks crappy but summer is comming and all it is going to take is work I guess and a couple hundred dollars in materials. And the car will look nice again. I wonder if I can order the gasket for the moon roof from the dealer. It might still be available. Many cars of that era had aftermarket dealer installed sun or moon roofs but I think this is an OEM unit rather than dealer installed.
Maybe I guess, It should not be hard to install one if I find one.
The thing is no longer new and shows the affects of being outside all of it's life and is beginning to leak oil a bit but it is paid for, pretty much most everything works and it drives out nicely. That is hard to beat.