New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Bought my first Saturn yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Default Bought my first Saturn yesterday...

Kind of "happened" upon it at a dealer auction and it turned out to be quite a blessing.

It's a 2000 with 51k miles, I'm the second owner. It's in really good shape, just needed a new battery and some brake work and it runs beautifully. It's a pretty basic model but I'm happy it has the things I want most (except cruise):

A/C
Keyless entry
Radio

Had to get an auto for the wife and I plan to install remote start for her and cruise control for me, and a new sound system for us I've been really impressed with this car and love the gas mileage, having downsized from a minivan.

I'm here to learn what little tweaks the enthusiasts would recommend for better gas mileage, anything I might need to watch for, and to thoroughly enjoy my first Saturn

Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 PM

I'm looking for the same information, Ligem. It sounds like we're more or less in the same boat. I'm running a couple of different types of injector cleaner through mine in hopes of improving performance (mine was clearly some nice old lady's Sundays & grocery trips car, and so probably needs to be blown out a little bit), but I came here wondering if there was something I was missing that might help me get another couple of MPG out of my fuel dollar.

If I happen upon anything I'll let you know on this thread. If you find anything out, let me know will you?

Originally Posted by Lilgem
Kind of "happened" upon it at a dealer auction and it turned out to be quite a blessing.

It's a 2000 with 51k miles, I'm the second owner. It's in really good shape, just needed a new battery and some brake work and it runs beautifully. It's a pretty basic model but I'm happy it has the things I want most (except cruise):

A/C
Keyless entry
Radio

Had to get an auto for the wife and I plan to install remote start for her and cruise control for me, and a new sound system for us I've been really impressed with this car and love the gas mileage, having downsized from a minivan.

I'm here to learn what little tweaks the enthusiasts would recommend for better gas mileage, anything I might need to watch for, and to thoroughly enjoy my first Saturn

Old 03-17-2010, 04:05 PM

Hello and welcome to Saturn Forum........have questions post them in the the area best suited.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Congrats and welcome to the Saturn Forum

Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

welcome welcome welcome to all

Old 03-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Thanks all!

Originally Posted by wesh
If you find anything out, let me know will you?
I highly recommend the "fuel system 3-part cleaning" from Valvoline. Ask them to give you the injector cleaner to add yourself at your next fill up. They will scrub out the throttle body and use the brake booster somehow to flush the intake. Old, low mile cars typically get a lot of carbon build up from so many short trips.

This boosted my gas mileage and took it from struggling to start cold to firing like a champ every time.