Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Will the madness ever stop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

ok, so I will do some hunting and get back to you.
If they are offering respirators on the big line, there's a reason. USE ONE.
No need to cough up half a lung even if it isn't toxic.

If your coworkers call you a sissy, take the high road and ignore. And tell them it aggravates what you think is asthma, which you only seem to have developed since working at that plant.

You won't have to show your buddies an inhaler b c you're not officially asthmatic.
And maybe they'll think twice about their own health and safety.

Take the high road; better to use a respirator in your 20's and live till you're 85 than to die at 50 from COPD

When it comes down to it, the only one who's gonna truly look out for you is you.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:37 PM

The thing is, I'm no longer in the building with the big line, so no more smoke... and no more radio, and back to having seven lines to keep eyes on...

Old 06-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

watching a SCADA system display of parameters for each line as they run?

Old 06-20-2015, 06:48 AM

No, the pipe must be sampled and checked manually to make sure it's still within spec... What I'm referring to is watching it go onto its respective coil/reel/pallet, and if the lineman needs help, I try and assist... It's expected of us to help other linemen when we can... Not always easy though...

Old 06-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Please make sure you wear any PPE that you have access to, and do it properly. I've worked in a place (back when I was a smoker) that the running joke was smoking was the only time you got fresh air in there. It was a metal heat-treating plant and electro-plater and some of the smoke from the oil quenches you couldn't see half way across the building. No telling what damage it did to the furnace operators over time. I was shipping/receiving. If you are required to wear safety glasses get them with side shields. I know from my own vision issues that you want to keep your eyes as healthy as you can. Trying to adjust to a lack of vision in one eye would be extremely traumatic - I cope well since I never had 'normal' vision and I am the safety glasses police when I work in a production facility!

I'm glad your wife got a job going, even if it's not what she really wants. Is it possible for her to qualify for a grant to take classes so she can get a certification/degree and open up more options? More and more college online classes are available, just check to be sure they are accredited properly for any credits to transfer.

You guys are young enough to spread your wings a bit. Buckle down and do it - cuz it's much harder when you're MY age LOL

Wishing you only good things while you're straightening everything out.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:46 PM

We make too much money(on our last W2) to qualify for any sort of financial aid for schooling... I thought about getting my commercial license and driving a truck(more money), but even that costs more than what I can swing right now...

Old 06-22-2015, 01:26 PM

You should run for president. That's plenty of money.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:00 PM

Yeah, but the campaign costs are in the billions, and most people don't get the White House unless they've held a major public office for some time... Plus, I'm not crooked enough to be a politician...

Honestly, it could be the best paid job in the entire world, and you couldn't give it to me... I don't want that sort of pressure...