Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Well, I broke something

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:19 PM

Well, that blows those plans out of the water lol. http://streetdesignauto.net/ was where they were, and now it appears that there gone. I know of one other (import performance parts) but that cam is expensive!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Octavious
Well, that blows those plans out of the water lol. http://streetdesignauto.net/ was where they were, and now it appears that there gone. I know of one other (import performance parts) but that cam is expensive!
Yuh, I found another listing for This Model Saturn Cam and it and gold had a lot in common.
Which makes me stop and think.
Scary ain't it!
1st. That Saturn ain't an import. It is home brewed in Tennessee. When it was new(er) GM was racing the things in SCCA small sedan classes. I wonder if there is a performance cam some where in the GM parts books that can still be ordered? Stranger things than that have happened.
And my self I am old school, use and prefer Iskenderian cams.
http://www.iskycams.com/
and generally if I have a question a phone call to them will usually answer it.
I wonder if they ever ground cams for that engine?
And if they did, can they do it again.
And I'll throw out this, I have always felt my 94 would be happy with another 15 hp and I know I would, but to be honest that has been low on my priority list 'specially since I screwed up my paint job and am going to have to repaint again AND deal with deterioration of the interior.
So if you were inclined to give them a call and ask;
1. if they would or could do it
and
2. What would a price break be on two sets I could be interested

Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM

Things are winding down.
All engine parts are ordered, engine assembly is on sunday. after that all I need is the clutch and ill be good to go!!
Cleaned all the nasty out of my intake manifold, then shot it (and my new oil pan) up with some paint. I plan on putting the homecoming gauges in the car on thursday

Attached Thumbnails Well, I broke something-img_20120801_001008.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 AM

Looking good, dude. What did you finally decide about a cam?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:12 AM

They are looking good. I guess when I get to the point where going back together is taking place I start getting excited. I am getting ready to weld up the transmission mount I fabricated and I am getting a drive shaft made. I have some repainting to do but the answer to the same question Ruby asked, what did you finally do about a cam shaft?
Next after this is done to fabricate shift linkage so the column shift will work the transmission.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 PM

Currently im staying stock cams and Ill move onto that down the road, dont have the cash for it now and instead of rebuilding the head Ive bought a fully remanufactured one so all I have to do is bottom end and timing

But, im an *** and messed up my nicely machined block.I managed to drop the block on my foot (wearing sandals -.-), on the head side while putting it on the stand. Fortunately, my foot is fine, but it messed up the block. Theres a few dents in the aluminum where the gasket would seat and it looks like I would lose compression from that. also, one of the sleeves that go into the head for the head bolt was damaged slightly, but i could straighten that out myself if I have to.
Ive heard of people shaving the head to bump compression, but could it be done on the block without problems on these motors? If so anyone know what the maximum amount I can shave off without having problems? I dropped it today, and my quick trip to the ER kinda killed all my time to check it. I need to take a good look at it also for cracks
I tossed the question out on different racings forums also hoping to get an answer, trying to avoid having to buy another block

Last edited by Octavious; 08-01-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 AM

The odds are that the damage can be repaired and the block be salvageable. Not being able to see the damage my self limits the capability of passing judgement on what will or will not work.
And not to make light of your plight which is the last thing in the world that I would want to do because of the frustration you have for both damaging your work and the trip to ER and all that goes with it I can only say one thing for it. Damn! I am glad I am not the only boneheaded member of the forum. I thought I was the only one stupid enough to do all that!
My most recent (yes of few) was a year ago last thanksgiving and I still have no feeling in the tip of one finger. It did heal nicely though.
What you are describing is decking the block. That is removing enough material from the head surface so the the space between the top of the piston and the surface of the block (called deck height) becomes a minimum. The less there is the more compression you can build in.
Of course compression has a limit too, that is the amount of mechanical compression that the engine has that it will run on premium fuel with out pinging or knocking. That noise one hears when it does take place in uncontrolled explosion of the fuel when it fires. That noise is caused by that and in many cars that have fuel injection a detonation sensor is part of the controls that are used by the computer that runs the engine is to sense the pinging or knocking using the detonation sensor and when it is heard the timing is reduced or retarded to reduce the tendency to cause pinging.
This pinging or detonation can cause broken pistons and engine failure. Been there and done that. As far as I am concerned using fuel that takes 20cents more per gallon than the cheap stuff to be part of an elimination process of pinging is cheap insurance when you have a $5000.00 engine sitter there that might not take much in the way of pinging to start breaking pistons again. So what do I do with 87 Octane gasoline? I use it to wash parts with and kill weeds.
This was a procedure that used to be part of a tune up. There was a recommended timing setting that could be measured and maintained by the owner. If you chose to run more advance you also needed to use a premium fuel if you were not at the time, and frankly the car gave better performance, more power and better fuel economy, it would run harder and faster but did require premium fuel.
At today's prices which is 20 cents more per gallon than the cheap stuff allows the engine to develop maximum performance when needed.
Why? Today the tuning is done by the computer as you drive the car. The word tune up as paid for when you take your car in for one is generally one of replacing something that is worn out (always with the statement if needed) and that a filter is clean. All part of what used to be a tune up but today is pretty much all that is left of one.
Running late or retarded timing, again today automatically done by the computer listening to the detonation sensor or part of the algorithms designed into the computer to tune and run the engine generally with the request by the manufacturer to run a minimum grade of octane in the fuel used.
Late timing is also accompanied by excess engine heat and exhaust heat with the later leading to problems running headers and blowing gaskets out every so often due to the increased exhaust temperatures.
My fuel injected AMC I-6 I built does not use a detonation sensor and is a Speed Density design so there is no mass air flow sensor either. But it is requested you use only 92 octane gasoline. Here in Arizona the maximum octane is 91 with the exception of racing gasoline which is available at some selected gasoline stations.
Once you get east of the Mississippi you will find 92 most places and 93 and 94 in many places. Using an Octane of 93 will let you rung quite a bit of compression in a built up engine with out pinging or knocking.
OR you (or your computer) can detune things to run on lesser octane with lesser results from the engine.
Just remember detuning an engine to run low octane also results in less power developed, more engine and exhaust heat created and less fuel mileage. All depending on how things are being tuned.
So how much you can "Deck the Block" is basically a function of physically can you due to the design and what octane gasoline you have available to support having done so.
I had that done along with milling the head to achieve a 9:1 compression on the AMC I-6 engine I built.
The only concern I can think of is how much slop in the chain drive to the overhead cams can be tolerated before a problem steps up and can be seen and that I do not know but at face value I don't think it is a problem.
As to the dents and all. Depending on where they are they could or could not be a problem.
Also a machine shop that that does block work, would have the capability of welding up the dented surface and then re-machining it to make it flat.
The bottom line? To fix it is probably doable. All it will take is money! And I guess it sounds like you need to find out how much. I would approach a machine shop that deals with decking the block as an engine machining service to find out. And
quit wearing sandals when working with heavy things that can be dropped on your feet.

Last edited by uncljohn; 08-02-2012 at 06:26 AM.