Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/off-topic-10/)
-   -   Well, I broke something (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/off-topic-10/well-i-broke-something-6731/)

Octavious 04-15-2012 09:11 PM

Well, I broke something

3 Attachment(s)
Driving around the town with my buddy, put the clutch in to go into 5th, and as soon as it slid in gear there was a loud bang and some smoke started pouring out the back. Pulled over and the thing pissed out all of its trans fluid.
At first I thought I blew the diff pin, but my inspection when I got it towed home showed the trans casing is still intact.
So im thinking now that I blew the syncro and the front seal. I got a hoist already so I can take the engine out at the end of the week.

Back to the turbo diesel!

RjION 04-15-2012 09:41 PM

Well hell .............. that just sucks. Will say I do like your little sedan, makes me miss a few of my s-cars.

Rubehayseed 04-16-2012 08:20 AM

Sure sounds like a seal blew out, man. Let us know what you find out.

Octavious 04-17-2012 10:00 PM

Funny enough, my dads truck blew its starter on sunday night when my friends and I were going somewhere, so I was freaking out.

Im starting at 8 am on Sunday pulling the motor and transmission. Ill be posting most of my findings immediately on facebook, and ill wrap up at the end of the night on here. The only good thing about this is while the motor is out of the car, I am redoing the rear main seal which I know has started leaking abit. Or, If i find a complete engine and trans I might just swap those in. Or go for a full rebuild. Ill decide that later though.
if anyone wants to follow on facebook let me know and ill give you my name to friend request.

Octavious 04-17-2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by RjION (Post 30367)
Well hell .............. that just sucks. Will say I do like your little sedan, makes me miss a few of my s-cars.

I honestly love this car, I told my parents if I cant have another saturn this one is staying for as long as it can.

Ill rebuild it so it can. half of the damn parts are new in it anyways lol

uncljohn 04-19-2012 08:44 AM

It seems to me that I have seen mention of a pin or the like drifting free from the differential and wearing it's way through the trans-axle on the S cars. I really know next to nothing about it other than I see mention of it and only on standard transmssion models.
Anyway, looking at the nice shiny paint makes me envious, the constant exposure to the sun and heat destroyed mine and when I repainted it, I screwed up meaning I have to now do it again. Dang. It is gonna be a lot of work to make it look nice again.
And it do run fine!

Octavious 04-19-2012 12:36 PM

lol, the paint might be shiny but it is battered and bruised. car has scuffs allll over it

RjION 04-19-2012 04:59 PM

Damn little S's handle so well and thats before dropping, rear swaybar, strutbar, or good tires.

Octavious 04-23-2012 11:36 PM

Ive thrown that car around some corners at speed. I surprised myself lol. The tires I have on there now arent the grippiest, but they do the job well enough (I think Im gonna go for some bridgestones next)
Are rear swaybars still around for the car, would love to get my hands on one of them. Maybe Ill throw a strut bar in after the rebuild - if I have some cash left over.
speaking of rebuilds
the final decision is made (I had to convince my parents to let me keep the saturn). For now Im doing an bottom end overhaul and getting a rebuilt head to get me back to perfect running condition. (Hopefully) toward the end of the summer I plan on doing cams and valves and whatnot.
I couldnt pull the motor sunday because we had a beautiful week in NJ and then mother nature decides to downpour on my only day off... oh well

RjION 04-25-2012 03:57 PM

If you buy a front strut bar, make sure you buy a solid one. There is a alum flat bar that was made for the car but it's just decoration. They also at one time made a rear strut tower bar along with a 3way ajustable rear sway bar. The sway bar works outstanding and worth every penny.