Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Thoughts on The 2014 Stingray Vette??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM

Corvette makers are aware that old folgies like me are slowing dissappearing. The younger generation and future Corvette buyers like the higher rev, european sounding cars. Chevrolet does have a small V8 (4.8 I think) that produces around 400 hp but redlines at about 10,000 rpm. This high rev small V8 attracts a lot of interest from the younger generation. Us old guys like the sound of a deep toned V8. Back when the C4 was produced, GM engineers found that they could produce a few more horses by changing the firing order of the LT1 and LS engines. It worked great but it changed the exhaust tone quite a bit. Ford chose not to change the sound simply to gain a few horse power. Thus the deep toned Mustang V8. I love that sound! V6? I don't know. While they do produce good hp, they lack a little in torque and a bunch in sound. Most performance people will tell you that while HP is great, torque is where it is at. In so far as economy, my Corvette gets better mileage than our Aura XR as long as I keep my foot out of it. What makes them expensive is that fact that they are two seaters and don't do well on slick roads. My oldest Corvette is an 06 with 20k miles. Not that I don't want to drive it but our weather here in Denver only allows for a few months a year when I can drive it. This makes it a very expensive garage queen. Seriously, if I could find a low mileage great condition Sky I would buy it in a second. I love the looks of them and they are, believe it or not, a big hit with our fellow Corvette owners. I guess we will just have to wait and see what GM does over the next few years. They are driven by $$ and will do what it takes to earn more $$. The way things are going now, it may come down the our Government telling them to make a 4 cyl. Vette! Who knows

Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM

I grew up with V/8's never thinking a 6 or 4 banger would turn into what they are today. I've had a number of 67,69, and 70 Camaro's a few of them being of the 396ci variety. Yep love the sound and straight line go fast. But the big blocks sure had a problem stopping and turning. Not to mention the amount of raw fuel coming out the tailpipes. Thats the way it was and I can't think of any of my friends that had a six cyl american car. I bought a new 1974 Z/28 and got my *** handed to me by a Datsun 240Z. It could out corner, out brake, and with the the little tuning that was done to it beat me down the 1/4 mile. It could also pass more gas stations than my Camaro. That 240Z belonged to my cousin Mike so I had plenty of time to learn to like it. I never bought a import..always stayed with GM and Ford. That was tough in the 80's through the mid 90's. Then Saturn came along and I bought one. So when it comes to V/8 sound I love it, but I don't need it. I'll take a SKY or Solstice turbo if I can find one I can afford.

Last edited by eneloop; 03-31-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM

I'm also an oldie, and I rather a SKY size,weight,priced,powered car over a vette.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM

When it comes to transportation my preference is to import from Detroit. The problem with that is Detroit has spent almost 3 generations trying to import from everywhere else and not only in many cases screwing up the reputation of a pretty good car bought elsewhere but in the process destroying what was left of the reputation of the cars that made them famous.
They were so busy competing among their own brands that the outsiders did not have to do any more than supply good value for their money.
Did any one ever drive the First Hyundai? I did . What a genuine piece of crap. However it was a better grade piece of crap than a Vega was and cheaper. So rather than concentrating the efforts to build a better Chevrolet they spent more money building another one, and one for Pontiac, one for Oldsmobile, one for Buick and of the worst of the decisions one for Cadillac.
And Hyundai? They just brought out a better Hyundai and did not bother wasting their money.
Me? I like my cars. Not trucks, not SUV's nor cross overs. Cars. And I like pretty. Now pretty is a matter of opinion, but mine. I liked very few Corvettes. I could afford fewer and less so now then a few years ago.
I liked the 1963/4 and one or two of the later ones. I did not like the view through the windshield of the models made during the 70's so even if I could afford one I would not have bought one. But this new one? This is the first one I have seen in a long time that if there was anyway at all I could have one in my driveway I would. The dang thing is pretty.
In the mean time I built some fairly quick street rods. And the only engine I ever had a problem beating was a small block Chevy. Big blocks were never a problem but that dang mouse motor could be built to the hilt, run like smokey the bear and live on the street with out coming apart. I probably lost 50% of my street races to small block chevy's
So when I had a chance to buy a Mercury Marine engine that had a number of go fast parts on it and something that was easy to add more on for cheap I bought one. It is a mouse motor in disguise and now it sits in my AMC Hornet Station Wagon disguised as a mouse motor Corvette engine with go fast parts galore and it runs and runs well. The700r4 transmission works, I have Dart II cast iron 9:1 compression heads with big valves (it came with the engine) an Iskenderian cam, a Carter ThermoQuad 800 cfm carburetor, vintage very early 1970's and an Air Gap intake. Those are basic parts that spell quick in any language. The exhaust system will work, the interior while not done, the basic parts have been purchased or fabricated and are in house. I can start work on the body now and the wiring for the stereo/satellite radio is almost complete. I think I will like this car when finished. I might not be able to afford a $70,000 vette, but I think I can scare the hell out of one with a $4000.00 street rod.