Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Severe pain in leg, help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:57 AM

Again (after reading your latest description of what is going on) I've walked that walk. If the term "herniated disc" does not tell you much, you are NOT reading the proper definition.
Derf covered it, I've lived it.
my only additional comment simply is opiated pain killers give you a life when nothing else might not.
Being paranoid about the use of them "as directed" is just that, being paranoid. The word "potentially" also has a definition.
If and the operative word is IF they are going to be potentially anything that is up to person using them and using them incorrectly
When "Pain" is the medium that drives your life and all decisions are based on the amount of pain you are trying to direct things with, you do not have a life.
It is as simple as that.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:35 AM
Banned

It may happen if the nerve is damaged somehow. You need to find out the reason of that damage..

Old 12-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Ummm -- herniated disc, maybe (see above)

Old 01-07-2016, 10:46 AM

So, I've seen the neurosurgeon, and his PA walked me through all my MRI images and explained (showed) me how the disc was herniated, and where... They also said that in some cases, given my young age, the disc could heal on its own, and they want to avoid surgery due to the associated risks involved... They ordered me a "nerve block", basically what Derf was describing above... The guy gives me a shot, and the thing is guided by a CT scan machine to make sure the needle goes where it needs to(the epidural area, immediately surrounding the herniation, between L5 and S1)... The procedure is scheduled on 01/12 at 1:30p... Wish me luck, as I have to stop taking any anti-inflammatory drugs five days before the procedure(today)

Old 01-07-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
So, I've seen the neurosurgeon, and his PA walked me through all my MRI images and explained (showed) me how the disc was herniated, and where... They also said that in some cases, given my young age, the disc could heal on its own, and they want to avoid surgery due to the associated risks involved... They ordered me a "nerve block", basically what Derf was describing above... The guy gives me a shot, and the thing is guided by a CT scan machine to make sure the needle goes where it needs to(the epidural area, immediately surrounding the herniation, between L5 and S1)... The procedure is scheduled on 01/12 at 1:30p... Wish me luck, as I have to stop taking any anti-inflammatory drugs five days before the procedure(today)
Sounds like you need to take the next few days easy. Good luck dear

Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mandee_07
Sounds like you need to take the next few days easy. Good luck dear
So i had the procedure done today, and passed out immediately afterward, like i expected... it hurt pretty bad, but im sitting here 100% pain free, or at least until the anesthetic portion of the injection wears off... i can live with the numbness for the six hours after; the relief feels awesome! Granted, i was terrified during the moments right before it all began, but next time itll be better

Old 01-12-2016, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 19bonestock88
So i had the procedure done today, and passed out immediately afterward, like i expected... it hurt pretty bad, but im sitting here 100% pain free, or at least until the anesthetic portion of the injection wears off... i can live with the numbness for the six hours after; the relief feels awesome! Granted, i was terrified during the moments right before it all began, but next time itll be better
Yay!!!! Glad to hear it went well hopefully it works.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear. Hope it hurts less in the long run and that you regain full sensory functionality of everything.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:36 AM

Good morning all... I figured I would give a small status update... My numbness has receded completely, and the pain has returned... They told me it would be a couple days before I seen any real relief from the shot, so I'm not worried... However there was a magical window in the anesthetic wearing off, where I had 99% of sensory function, and still no pain...

...and I'm finally into a four digit post count, lol

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 01-13-2016 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Yay, 1000 posts!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:45 AM

If I am reading right you have had an epidural shot series or started a series. Congratulations. It is something that may help and has been the solution for some people and for others, did not work well. I had a series of 3 and the bottom line was when done I was pain free until I started to move about to do things I normally do and the effects wore off and effectively ended up doing nothing.
That's o.k. and to me worth trying even if they didn't work. I hope it does for you.
Because like I said, it worked for some people and I know that first hand.
Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Severe pain in leg, help?