Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Just Piddlin' Around

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 11:20 PM
Default Just Piddlin' Around

One disadvantage I've found to doing things myself all my life is that I don't know when to ask for help.
I know how to do it, I have the tools to do it, may even have the parts to do it but when you get old and decrepit like me and have family with significant health needs things just go undone and pile up.
After working from home for 3 months with being able to instantly switch from home to work and back again I've gained an extra 2 1/2 hrs a day for family needs and honey do lists.
I've gotten a lot done around the house, doesn't look like as much of a dump as before.
Got the van back on the road and keeping the Buick going.
Every once in a while I have to move the Saturn and it just pains me to hear it running on 3 cylinders but still acting like it's ready to go wherever I want to go.
I've still got 4 other dead vehicles I need to either get going or get gone so it'll be a while before I can get back to the Saturn.
Meanwhile I've managed to get my hands on a trailer and have been hauling off the furniture, trash and scrap from the back yard. Still have half a dozen piles of pallets stacked around the yard and the two old chicken coops to deal with.
It's good to see the progress but at the same time I know I'm going back to the office and will lose this extra time.
Things still take too long and take too much out of me and I wonder if I'll be able to keep it going long enough to have the place presentable again before life pulls the rug out from under me again.
While I wonder about it, I don't dwell on it. Each day has enough for itself without borrowing from tomorrow too.
Just thankful that I'm still here and still able to do for myself and my family.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:15 AM

Man I can relate.
honey do list never ends. Even if not asked, still needs to get done.
Cars are piled up and need to go.
yard work needs to be done on a property that floods with 10 min of rain.
Just always going.
Coffee only does so much.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:07 AM

We just need to all be aware of no guaranteed tomorrows. Do what you can do each day and give thanks to God for letting his mercy each morning we wake up and put our feet on the floor. We're living under His grace and nothing else. I look forward to the challenges of each day when I wake up in the morning.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Well said Charlie! It is overwhelming if I step back and look at all the projects. My grandson asked what was next on the list now that the Rambler is almost done. Next is to part out the Saab then get a Saturn together for his sister then........

Old 07-05-2020, 06:58 AM

How about some photos of your Rambler, Andy? I'm sure there are folks here that have probably never even seen one.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

My grandson and I got the transmission installed yesterday, then I had to go back to work. I signed up as a flagger on the standby holiday crew and am on call all weekend. Standby pays 20% plus what ever you make on the calls, you just get the first call. 14.5 hours so far this weekend with today left to go. We took the extra dash all apart so after we get the rear end back in I can finish up the dash. I will get pictures after I get the car back outside.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Keep rolling jamnar. Sounds like your **** is healing just a bit from life continually kicking you in it.

If it's any reassurance, I drove my 97 Saturn SC2 for 9 months on a dead cyl with the injector unplugged. Not on the highway but more than sufficient around town. PCM kept it at idle.

Keep idling, dude.