Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Did you know....... (a thread for ridiculous automotive factoids)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default Did you know....... (a thread for ridiculous automotive factoids)

.......that a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5L 4cyl has a distributor based ignition system?

And that if it throws a cam position sensor error P0340, there is no physical cam position sensor.
Oh and you lose spark.

And there is the strange pickup coil that is the diameter of the distributor that is below the rotor that I think is serving the same purpose.

And that it is 75 bucks at AutoZone

And that the first 12 articles I looked up on the subject made it clear that the Jeep Wrangler community has no effing clue about whether it exists or not.

A distributor in a Y2K vehicle? I wonder why I've never bought a Chrysler. Seriously?

Yes I am aware that having discreet adjustability of the timing using your hand is in some cases a delight, but you would think they would have gone to something a bit more modern on that hunk of junk period or maybe that's how they keep the price down

Last edited by derf; 08-28-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 AM

Dakotas (see in my signature) with the 3.9 V6 or 5.9 V8 also ran with distributors until 2003. Yes, you can set the timing by moving the distributor, but it is recommended you only do that when installing a new distributor to do the initial setup. Otherwise the PCM takes care of the timing, and trying to 'help it out' can mess things up. I'm just as happy with my Dakota as I have grown to become with my Ion.

And if you check RockAuto, you can get that distributor pickup coil for $31 plus shipping.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

I have said do not buy a mid 80s anything for many years, that was a scary time for auto electronics. Manufacturers “modified” existing engines to meet customer expectations and emission laws. Transition is tough and the customer pays most of the testing costs. Never buy a first year anything is a good rule to follow. Our company has several 2015 Ram pickups with the “Pentastar” v6, all of the trucks in my yard have been back to the dealer for cam follower and lifter replacement on the right bank. No reports on any of the Chrysler forums of any problems but the dealers stock all the parts. Maybe we got all the bad ones, NOT.
Have a good day!

Old 08-29-2020, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

The Jeep belonged to some random parking lot dude at Dairy Queen that had his hood up. I always make it a point to ask if people seem to do a lot of staring and not much of anything else. They had also degreased the engine the night before. Didn't ask if they bagged the distributor. Didn't want to know

Old 08-29-2020, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

.......that a 2003 BMW 325i M56 2.5 L L6 throws all 6 misfire codes on Autolite plugs and no codes on OEM NGKs? Took me 3 weeks to figure out why and came to me while brushing my teeth. We put crap plugs in when we we're getting no spark at all and were just trying to establish that we did have spark. Then forgot after purging the old gas to put in good plugs.