New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

replaced every part I can think of

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 PM

I have a 97 Saturn SC2 DOHC with a manual transmission. I have a problem with when you depress the clutch to the floor while shifting or just shifting into a neutral to come to a stop, the car will die. I have replaced the EGR Valve, Crank sensor, IAC Valve, TPS Sensor, PCM, Electronic Coolant Temperature Sensor, O2 Sensor, MAP sensor and the coil packs and the ignition control module. I am about to pull my hair out. If anybody can help, please help!!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 AM

Try replacing the engine... lol

Have you tested your alternator? And could it be something's tweaked with your clutch safety switch? I don't know how but it's an odd possibility. Throttle cable?

I don't know... But it just sounds as if your idle is dropping extremely low whenever your RPMs drop quikly and it chokes itself out...

Old 05-17-2007, 02:29 AM

Is your normal idlearound 800 rpm? If not then have you may have to examine the coolant sensor/connector, the replacement sensor must be brass and the connector must be free of corrosion otherwise it will not have good electrical conductivity. If replacing the two-wire connector buy the replacement from the dealer ($30) or take it from a junk yard connector off the air temperature sensor. The other possibilities are poor connections, dirty throttle body/linkages, and maybe an intake gasket leak that may be found by spraying carb cleaner around the the intake manifold with the engine running. Any change of rpm would indicate a vacuum leak and the source taken care of.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:20 AM

He said he already replaced the ECTS but the connector is still a good idea... As for the vacuum leak: wouldn't that make it so the idle would be too high and not die on him? It seems like a vacuum leak is what he needs right now. A throttle body cleaning definitely sounds like it should help... And how's your intake? Is the filter dirty or could it be clogged somewhere?

Old 05-19-2007, 09:21 AM

btw: Any problem you fix with your car, please update the forum... I have the same exact car that you do (mine is red, too) and it's having some issues as well.