Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

Just checking in...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Good to see your guard is fully up -- even against me!! Sweet.

Autozone may do scanners as part of their lend a tool program but i'm not sure what "level" of scanner it would be. Only one way to find out. And of course check the other auto stores to see their lend a tool programs ...might just get lucky. Might be a fee if you don't return the same day.

A lot of the car parts stores are now reading codes but will not clear them for you. I think it's a per-state thing, and I think it is because they must think that some people are getting codes cleared then driving so just enough of the I/Ms are "ready" so they pass inspection (some states don't require that all I/M's be ready, just a minimum and of that minimum certain ones must be in there as "ready".) Either that or it is to cut down on private owner to private owner deception/fraud where some dude wants his SES turned off just long enough to survive a test drive.....hmmmm....sound familiar?

As far as S cars in the snow, Traction control will help to a point and works well on snow covered roads that were previously plowed, but not in a fresh 8 inches of snow. The car is just too low to the ground and only weighs about 2300 lbs. In combination with ABS (for when you get overconfident with the traction control) it's not too bad.

I can hear the tire whine from here, and the diff pin punching a hole in the tranny case. I'm surprised you haven't trashed any other 5 speeds doing that. In theory that should just dig you down into a rut real quickly unless you are inching forward JUST ENOUGH to keep from creating a deep enough rut to trap yourself.

Plus you're following my golden rule of snow driving -- he who maintains momentum continues moving; he who stops at stop signs when no one is around isn't going anywhere ---except backwards if they're on a hill.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM

To be honest, most of such escapades happened in my old ranger, the Mazda M5OD is a really tough transmission, and the Ford 7.5" axle is pretty stout with an 80hp/106tq four banger turning it... I didn't do it enough in the Suzuki to hurt anything that I know of...I usually just try and maintain momentum if at all possible, so as to stay moving, but when I stop in deep snow, or take off from the house in deep snow, or other situations, spinning like that solved the problem...

Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Well, the deal fell through on the SL2, they sold it, I think... I am going to try and shop around locally...

Old 02-04-2015, 06:02 PM

Sorry to hear that, man. Maybe you'll find something a lot closer to home.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear it dude. Like Rube said, something more local should turn up.

Plus I was never comfortable with that 2 for 1 swap.....

Old 02-05-2015, 03:58 PM

Ehh, it's okay... I learned a long time ago, good things to those who wait... If I can sell my cars in a short while, I found something else at a semi-local dealer, a 2002 SVT Focus. While it's not a Saturn, it should be quicker, albeit with a fuel economy penalty...

Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 PM

Is that the five speed or six speed Focus? If it's the six speed, the average is around 26mpg combined. Five speed is about 27. Not much difference, but a damn site better than the Taurus or Exploder!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 AM

Hah! I've got Charlie calling them Exploders now LOL!!

I learned a long time ago when something is supposed to happen, you don't have to work excessively hard to make it work. The 2 for 1 had me a little ? on value, especially since one would have been your Ranger - they hold good value in my book. Anyways, you're not between a rock and a hard place, so keep looking for what you really want to get. I'm living proof that sooner or later, when it's right, it will happen.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

you mean like finding this forum?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:04 PM

They say that patience is a virtue, good things to those who wait... I'll live with the ones I have now(actually have to fix the Taurus now, brakes just went out)...

Honestly, I almost think of just modding my truck to be a better four season vehicle, and not worrying about a car, but driving my truck to work last night, I missed driving a roomy, comfy car... I just don't want to relegate myself to only having a Taurus, I would miss driving something with sporting intent... Maybe I could swap a 5 speed in it?

Quick Reply: Just checking in...