Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic...

I broke down

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 PM

All the LG Smartphones are junk, imo they only made good flip phones. my friend has one and hes only has problems. Im planning on getting the SIII also when my contract is up. I too use verizon, always have signal. The phone I have is the motorola dorid XII, and while its a pos even after I rooted and rom'ed it I like it, use it for just about everything when im away from my computers

Thier refurb sevice sucks too haha all of mine have been duds

For a second there I thought he actually broke down hahahahahhahahah

Old 02-02-2013, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator

I always had LG flip phones back in the day. Then got the LG envy 2 flip phones which were great until they started randomly powering off and/or rebooting on their own, culminating with the phone's outer keypad frying such that there was no way to get into it to unlock it.

I believe LG acknowledged firmware issues never issued an update , then promptly issued the Envy 3, which I was not stupid enough to buy. I was stupid enough to buy an original motorola droid razor, which black screened after 9 months. On refurb #1. battery life is poor for most but ok for me as I am not a heavy user.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM

Actually, the phone works just fine. Turns out they sent her a defective power cord for the damned thing. What a bunch of morons in "quality control".

Old 02-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Welcome to Rj's modern world .......... yep this SII works great, been trying all sorts of crap. If it turns out to be more a novelty than a tool I'll give it to my wife and get a reg dumb phone.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM

All I have is a flip phone. I am with Verizon but no contract. I keep getting phones when my friends upgrade. I was thinking of getting a hot spot though. It would help with my laptop. I was also thinking of trying straight talk for a service. Anybody try it?

Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by trike1946
All I have is a flip phone. I am with Verizon but no contract. I keep getting phones when my friends upgrade. I was thinking of getting a hot spot though. It would help with my laptop. I was also thinking of trying straight talk for a service. Anybody try it?
The Galaxy SIII can be used as a Hotspot as can many other smart phones and it's included with the data package you already pay for. Not to mention if you have wireless internet in your home you can run your phone via wifi (wireless) for anything you do on the internet and it's not charged to your cells data. That also works when your out and about ...... you can connect to any wifi that you are in range of. Thats if it's open or you can get the password to use it. Say your sitting at your dealership on repairs, most have wifi and give you the password to use it.

Last edited by RjION; 02-05-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 AM

I'll be honest here, I just have a basic phone, it rings and I answer it. Well not all the time if I don't recognize he number I blow it off. If some one I don't know wants to talk to me they can call me at home.
The upside though is by not paying an expensive maintenance fee on operating the phone? Paid for re-upholstering my Saturn. An objective I have that was far more important than answering my phone or what ever!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Yep this is my first smart phone .... Others were simple, call, text, pictures. We have not had a landline for years, got rid of that in 2000. No need for a home phone when we have cells that works no matter where we are. The upside to that is we don't have to pay for a home phone when it's not needed at all.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM

Same here, no home phone and no smart phone yet.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by RjION
The Galaxy SIII can be used as a Hotspot as can many other smart phones and it's included with the data package you already pay for. Not to mention if you have wireless internet in your home you can run your phone via wifi (wireless) for anything you do on the internet and it's not charged to your cells data. That also works when your out and about ...... you can connect to any wifi that you are in range of. Thats if it's open or you can get the password to use it. Say your sitting at your dealership on repairs, most have wifi and give you the password to use it.
Rj, I stopped at Verizon and looked at the GIII. You are right, it does look like a great phone. It was $199 and the GII was $299. The hot spot with (I think) 5 gigs? was $20 to get it and $50 a month. With no contract it was $250 to buy it and then $50 a month.

How can you use the smart phone as a hot spot?

Quick Reply: I broke down