New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Tough Living in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Cool Tough Living in San Diego

Yeah.. with all these earthquakes and the terrible weather we have we try to explain to folks it's probably best to stay away! I'm not serious of course, just proud to be from where I'm at. Meet a lot of great folks from all over the country whether I'm on my Harley or in my Saturn Sky Redline. Many have been through here while doing a stint in the Navy or Marines. I'm Lovin this semi-retirement. Drop me a line.. love to chat!

Old 12-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome. I had an old friend go through there with the Baby in the '90s.

So how did your life path and that of the Redline cross?

We get very few redline owners on our site, so please don't be put off by the volume of questions that may be asked.

Folks - reminder-- please no tech questions for The Doc here in the new member area. Thanks.

Again, welcome. There are several shadetree old farts on the site - however---just because you're semi retired doesn't mean you're up in years..... Anyway, you'll find a lot of kind, fun, and ? people on the site. We're a pretty close knit family. Always expanding.....

Old 12-05-2015, 02:20 PM
Cool Hope this gets through to Derf

Thought I'd get into the website and just see a message from Derf, hit reply, and go to it.. Guess not (also having a heck of a time logging in.. seems to be a delayed keystroke entry and more times than not it says my password is incorrect.. not having the problem anywhere else I'm at)

Yes I just hit the big 65 mark. Army Combat Veteran (Nam), 30 years in Aerospace (Machinist, Tool and Die Maker, Engineer and Manager) with Boeing, Raytheon, General Dynamics, and Rohr. Back to school for Radiology and spent 10 years doing X-ray, CT, and MRI Scans. Picked up my PhD in Business and Healthcare Administration and teach Masters and Doctoral programs online now.

Have always enjoyed my Harleys and have a 2006 Softail Heritage Classic now (a necessity in Southern California). Hunted and hunted for a little roadster to run over to Arizona and Nevada in and enjoy good times. Then I got to looking into these Saturn Sky Turbos and fell in love. Finally found one with all the bells and whistles on it in Seattle. Flew up there about a week and a half ago and drove it back to San Diego. Just absolutely love this thing. Fast, exhilarating, hugs the road to no end, beautiful and I'm already getting lots of questions from folks like "Wow.. what is that"? Yeah.. I'm in love all over again.

I know the rest of the folks on this site must feel the same about their's. Life doesn't get much better!

Old 12-05-2015, 06:04 PM

Guy I used to work with said his best friend had joined the Navy and was stationed in San Diego. He was speaking with her on the phone one night and someone stabbed him because they were waiting on the phone. She got to hear him die over the phone. You can keep San Diego.

Old 12-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Cool Guy you used to work with..

Wow.. Sounds like Oakland or Detroit might be the best choice??

Old 12-05-2015, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Doc Sterling
Thought I'd get into the website and just see a message from Derf, hit reply, and go to it.. Guess not (also having a heck of a time logging in.. seems to be a delayed keystroke entry and more times than not it says my password is incorrect.. not having the problem anywhere else I'm at)
Full web site or mobile app?

I've never heard a peep about said issue with the full site, whcih CAN be accessed via the mobile one via a link at the bottom of the page.PM me if you are still having troubles

And thank you for your service to this country, and surviving the ****storm of ignorant and disgusting behavior displayed by some upon your return home.

Many of us are thankful for your service.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:18 AM
Cool Thank You Derf

Much Appreciated..

I stay quite active in Veteran activities. I frequent VFW's and American Legions and have a ball shooting the bull and talking old days with the guys and gals. As National Patriot Guard Riders (on our Motorcycles of course) we guard transport for the laying to rest of our sailors and soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan (in the San Diego area hear). We welcome home troops from war zones and are with them when they are re-united with family. We assist in providing new homes and other living accommodations to wounded warriors and help our troops in many other ways. I get no better feeling in life than being with these young guys and girls serving in harms way. I'm so proud to be around them and advise them based on my experiences. They are absolutely thrilled to have some of us old Nam guys around to share their thoughts with. It's a cool thing.. Again.. I appreciate your thanks!

Old 12-06-2015, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

(Speechless)

Wow.
You seem to be someone who made it back and was able to readjust to the different environment of civilian life (even if you stayed on with the Army) but in either case you put your life on the line when asked and came back alive. And thrived.

Your continued support of past and current servicemen and women is incredibly kind; I would think man of the younger soldiers are thrilled to speak with and seek advice from you not only because you went to war and came back alive --and understand the "you have to have been there to get it" aspect, plus Nam was a war where people slithered (sorry,do not know military tern) on their stomachs for hours a a time to keep their heads from being blown off by jungle enemies they could not even necessarily see.

Today's wars are so much more heavily dependent on technology that puts many fewer troops on the ground (if possible), though I would think the fighting in Afghanistan was/is still block by block and chaotic due to the opponent's somewhat unpredictable behaviors when faced with certain military advances on their positions.

In an era where foreign wars become soundbytes after the "newness" wears off, I now make it a priority to thank every veteran and/or active service member. Not because of the lack of TV coverage, but for what that represents; being forgotten.

My father in law served in WWII, and my brother in law served in Korea. I now appreciate the sacrifices that took---and the sacrifices it still requires today.

Again -- Thank you again for all you've done and continue to do.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Cool Fortunate I Think

I spent 3 years in the Army (1969-1972). I was lucky enough to spend 18 months on Clark AFB in the Philippines before Nam so I was a little older than some of the guys over there. I was just days from completing my tour of duty in Nam when my dad died (he had been ill for awhile). I remember landing in San Francisco and the crew of the plane said "Hey.. you shouldn't be in that uniform walking around out there. Some of these crazies have rocks and bottles." They were good enough to give me a sweatshirt they had and I wore that to get to my cab. It was a crazy time. I'll never understand it. What a change from today.
I had a couple of years of adjustment. A little PTSD I'm sure and even today I have times when I'm way out of sorts mentally and have to withdraw and just be alone for awhile. All in all I'm very fortunate.
I know from my travels that most folks are very kind at heart. It also helps by way of how we present ourselves to others. I always try to be upbeat, happy and thankful to others. It rarely fails. I just enjoy life to the fullest and it seems to enjoy me too. Guess it's just a mindset.
You sound like a very squared away person yourself. I look forward to meeting you in person one day. Have a great day Derf..!

Old 12-07-2015, 01:13 AM

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your services to this country!

I have a few family members that served in Vietnam, but do not like discussing it at all.

Glad to see another redline added to the forum, too! Post some pictures!

And because I am me (you will learn) LSJ>LNF

Since derf said no tech questions here, I will wait for you to post another thread to ask if you have any performance plans with that beauty of a car! (He likes taking my fun away. I just like the go fast part of things!!)

Quick Reply: Tough Living in San Diego