New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New gal....maybe

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Default New gal....maybe

Hi all,

I am here because I have been offered a 95 Saturn. At this point all I know is that it is a 4 door sedan. I am leaning towards accepting it but I was hoping that I could find out about any 'quirks' it might have. Are there any common issues I should be aware of. I was told it drove quite well and is getting 35 mpg on the freeway. I am going to look at it tomorrow and perhaps test drive it.

Thanks in advance for any tips or comments.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Spend a few bucks, and get a CARFAX pulled on the car. If you buy it, change the oil and filter first thing. A little "loving care" is all a Saturn needs to have a long and trouble-free service life

Oh, and welcome to the Forum

Last edited by OceanArcher; 06-12-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Fixing my lousy spelling
Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Default A question on issues.

I have been given the choice between the Saturn or a Toyata Tercel (80s model) 4x4 which is also a attractive option even though it is older as I am a skier. I am much more familiar with the Tercel but the Saturn gets better milage and is a good 10 years newer so I am torn.

Last edited by derf; 06-12-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: merged threads
Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

make sure it idles smoothly and below 900 rpm
let it sit and warm up until the auxiliary fan kicks in to cool down the engine (do this with the hood up)

find out from the owner how much oil the car burns (if they say none they are most likely lying).

Get it up to highway speed and make sure it drives well without shimmys and shakes

Take it to your local mechanic for a once over.

And please no double posting

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Last edited by sw2cam; 06-12-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by derf
make sure it idles smoothly and below 900 rpm
let it sit and warm up until the auxiliary fan kicks in to cool down the engine (do this with the hood up)

find out from the owner how much oil the car burns (if they say none they are most likely lying).

Get it up to highway speed and make sure it drives well without shimmys and shakes

Take it to your local mechanic for a once over.

And please no double posting
Sorry about the double post. I thought I ought to put the issues question in the specific site for that year vehicle and so I posted it again there...or so I imagined.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM

I am not completly in agreement with Derf on the oil burning. Mine doesn't but than again the recommended light weight oil which has lead to the problematic oil consumption as a function of time and distant was never used. When I bought mine I immediatly started using an oil more compatible to temperature ranges the car was driven in and it never has used a drop. BUT, if the owner has followed factory recommended oil change intervals and the (stupidly) recommended light weight oil the odds are it burns some. My self, I have no use for an older heavier 4 wheel drive vehicle so I am biased. However something that is equally important or maybe more so. Toyota is still in business. Saturn isn't.
That says something for ease of obtaining parts and service. My preference, the Saturn. But then again, you might not be building a Mercury Marine engined obscure station wagon for the purpose of Street Racing a sleeper. So! So much for my opinion.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Unc -- I said most likely lying...your 10W-40 rants are quite memorable

Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 PM

Well I checked the oil today and it was really black but on the full mark. He had just driven the car from Texas to Wa state so I will be changing the oil very very soon. I also plan on doing the normal stuff...new air filter, new plugs and wires, new fuel filter (where is that little bugger, I couldn't find it in the engine bay when I looked) and probably a new thermistat too. I suppose a radiator flush and coolant change might be in order as well. I like to start off knowing these things are good on any used car I buy.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by atlast
, new fuel filter (where is that little bugger, I couldn't find it in the engine bay when I looked) .
If it hasn't changed between model years, it will be on the drivers side, underneath the car near the fuel tank (I cant remember if its in front of or on the side.) be careful though, The bracket bolts may be rusted so be careful not to break them off like I did...

On the choice of cars - 4x4s can get stuck too, Age plays a large roll also.

Quick Reply: New gal....maybe