New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

I have Goldy a 99 SW2, Red my daughters 99 SW2 and Whitey my other daughters 2000 SW2

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 12:09 PM
Default I have Goldy a 99 SW2, Red my daughters 99 SW2 and Whitey my other daughters 2000 SW2

Replace both airbags in 2000 SW2. I had to replace the oem connector to the airbag on the steering wheel because the original was epoxied in? Used quality butt connectors and a good connectors so I do not think it's a resistance problem. The airbag lamp flashed 7 times and light stays on. I just discovered the control module under the shifter consul must be "reset" I will do that, my question is does this system still have the front impact sensor? Is it worth finding a scan tool to read the airbag codes? Does anybody have the factory SIRS manual for this? I would really appreciate it if I could get some imfo from the factory manual.
Thanks in advance for any help with this!

Old 03-19-2022, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't believe this system could be triggered if it did not have an impact sensor.

Is your question whether you need to replace a triggered airbag impact sensor? I don't believe so but I will look. I have some general schematics for 99 to 2002 for S cars so I will see what I can determine.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:57 AM

Thanks, removed control module yesterday, should have a used 1 to try Monday. After replacement I expect it to work. Will post either way.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

My apologies. The sensor itself should be replaced after airbags are deployed.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:11 PM
Default 2000 SW2 Airbags replacement

No apology necessary! Put in used AB control Module still have light. Counting the lights flashing I get 8, counting the initial illumination as a flash, but I believe it's actually 7 flashes and stays on. I need to find a scan tool that does AB's. This stuff drives me crazy due to the ambiguities in my Haynes manual. As an A&P we don't deal with this stuff on AC's ( vague or incomplete details in manuals)
Still if anybody has a 2000 SIRS manual I would appreciate correct information, Thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2022, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

No idea If this is true correct or useful in any way since you need a reader that reads body and airbag codes.

https://blogs.myairbags.com/saturn-a...ule-reset-sdm/

It is over 220 lines long and I didn't see a PDF download or I would have linked to it

Old 03-22-2022, 04:45 AM

Thanks, original AB control module on way to be "reset". Checking with Buddies for Scan tool that data mat come in handy.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:25 PM

OK, bummed out, Installed "reset" module just now and AB lamp flashes continuously, but scan shows no current codes. There are some in memory that I must disregard because if they were a "hard" fault" the codes would have returned upon being powered up again. I will look into them though espically the U1000 "class II serial comm problem.
That's all I have Next I'm gonna look at the side impact sensors I think the covers were partially loose as this wagon is new to me. the story of how I bought it is pretty cool I'll share it when I get Whitey on the road!

Old 04-01-2022, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

I believe the u1000 is an indication that one or more modules on the communications bus is having difficulty communicating with the rest of the modules. This might be part of your overall problem as the airbag system may not be communicating to the BCM as needed. This is a guess, but right or wrong, that needs to be addressed right away, since proper communication between all modules must be present in order to generate useful diagnostic information especially since the airbag module itself has already demonstrated issues.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:52 AM

So following this flow chart takes me to 'system ok" The Chart A tree does not apply (I did check it out) Totally locked up., will go out to hangar and repeat process, then if stikk "OK" I will disconnect the pass AB. Next scan should show a fault, which I will correct , then clear. According to Alldata if the BCM was NOt comming w/SDM it would set a code!! Trying not to go crazy here.

Quick Reply: I have Goldy a 99 SW2, Red my daughters 99 SW2 and Whitey my other daughters 2000 SW2