New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Hi. My name is Lori. Owned my 99 sattie sc2 since 2006, gotta love the satties. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your sattie. Biggest problem with saturns are the egr valves, but they can be cleaned, clean throttle body to if you have any trouble.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 AM

We have another new NC boy on site...... say golly to Bobbed06.

Last edited by sw2cam; 02-19-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM

HI Abe, The Saturn is a great daily driver and these guys on the forum are quick to help fix em up. Plenty of good advice and knowledge here.

Welcome to the forum....

Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Banned

Thanks yall...and yea, now that I fixed the few problems it had, all it's waiting for is for tags and insurance and this baby will be on the road...I really think the price I got this car for was a steal

Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 AM

Welcome to what some times I think of as a group of eclectic misfits. Gasoline mileage is great, but from my drivers seat, performance over shadows it. My 94 S car regularly gets 20ish + around town and if I use cruise control on the open road gets 33mpg just like clock work.
As go premium fuel? I think people forget or maybe even never knew, basic physics says that if your compression ration is a given number, there is also an optimum octane for maximum performance. This includes both MPG and Engine Power.
You could as a shade tree mechanic detune your high compression engine to run on crap grade gasoline, but it would run hot, doggy and was prone to other problems.
The advantage of engine control computer is to be able to detune an engine so it will perform adequately on crap grade gasoline, rather than my having to do it. But if the compression is high enough it will retune for maximum performance when needed if premium is run.
That is the part that is missed and for the most part as a driver it is invisible.
And at the current price of gasoline it is 10% higher than crap grade. When I first started driving you could buy premium grade at less per gallon than what the difference in price is now. That makes gasoline one of the better buys of the current period.
Me? My choice is either middle grade or premium. 87 Octane? I use it to wash parts or kill weeds.
When it costs me almost $90.00 to fill my gasoline tank in my Van and it pulls hard using premium, the extra $4.00 it costs to have it do that is chump change.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by uncljohn
Welcome to what some times I think of as a group of eclectic misfits. Gasoline mileage is great, but from my drivers seat, performance over shadows it. My 94 S car regularly gets 20ish + around town and if I use cruise control on the open road gets 33mpg just like clock work.
As go premium fuel? I think people forget or maybe even never knew, basic physics says that if your compression ration is a given number, there is also an optimum octane for maximum performance. This includes both MPG and Engine Power.
You could as a shade tree mechanic detune your high compression engine to run on crap grade gasoline, but it would run hot, doggy and was prone to other problems.
The advantage of engine control computer is to be able to detune an engine so it will perform adequately on crap grade gasoline, rather than my having to do it. But if the compression is high enough it will retune for maximum performance when needed if premium is run.
That is the part that is missed and for the most part as a driver it is invisible.
And at the current price of gasoline it is 10% higher than crap grade. When I first started driving you could buy premium grade at less per gallon than what the difference in price is now. That makes gasoline one of the better buys of the current period.
Me? My choice is either middle grade or premium. 87 Octane? I use it to wash parts or kill weeds.
When it costs me almost $90.00 to fill my gasoline tank in my Van and it pulls hard using premium, the extra $4.00 it costs to have it do that is chump change.
O yea, i know that. On my eclipse i have to run premium fuel on it, but i also used to have another eclipse that didn't require premium but i always used to run 93 on it, once I start driving my SC1, I will run 93 on it.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Where I live, premium is 91 and if you drive hard through the mountains you can hear the engine working hard. If I get East to the land of really high octane there is a significant difference in how things actually function.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 AM

Add your name, location, and car to your signature. It never hurts to post a few pictures.