New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Good evening to all !

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 12:03 AM
Default Good evening to all !

Hi, just to say hi to everyone
I live in Hollywood, CA, and yesterday a bought a 1996 Gold SC2 Saturn.
I've been on Jaguar and Ford forums for a long time. Never had a GM or Saturn before (but always want it)
Hope to find some advice and info on the Saturn Forums website it looks like a very interesting and knowledgeable place
Cheers Rafael

Old 02-28-2023, 07:43 AM

Welcome to the forum. The first piece of advice I will give you is to check your oil frequently. The 1.9 DOHC is a KNOWN oil burner.

Old 02-28-2023, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Old 02-28-2023, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Last of the first gen body style. Shine some light on that so we can see it in all its glory. Is it that light plum color?

Old 03-01-2023, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Welcome to the forum. The first piece of advice I will give you is to check your oil frequently. The 1.9 DOHC is a KNOWN oil burner.
Hi ! Thank you, the engine sounds pretty bad, hard knocking sound, at least one connecting rod bearing is shot, and the engine needs to be replaced or rebuild. Will take a look inside once the weather becomes more friendly. For now, my first purchase was the Chilton service manual since I can't find a digital copy or even the wiring diagrams here on the forum. Anyway, a lot of interesting information from experienced owners is available, just not as much as for my previous projects.

Old 03-01-2023, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Last of the first gen body style. Shine some light on that so we can see it in all its glory. Is it that light plum color?
Looks like gold/champagne, will check the color code at service parts identification sticker this weekend and update

Old 03-02-2023, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

No that's gold, I just can't read.

Nice looking vehicle.
If you are truly interested, you can usually find the OEM service manuals as a set on eBay. Don't come up as often given the year of the vehicle but they show up once in a while. That's where I nabbed the OEM manuals for my 95 SC2

Old 03-02-2023, 07:55 AM

In the 50+ years I've been tinkering with cars (mostly Mopars) I've never found the chiltons manuals to be very helpful at all. Haynes manuals had more information and at best, they suck.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

I fully agree, but the Chilton manual, 91 to 93, and 91 to 2002 manuals have more or less complete wiring diagrams for the s cars. A total anomaly but it's true. I've used the 91 to 93 wiring diagrams up through 97 and the wiring stayed the same about 98% for things that were already there in 93

Old 03-03-2023, 07:50 AM

That's good to know, derf. I'm not much of an electrical guy and even less so since the brain surgeries scrambled my little noodle to where it's very difficult for me to follow even the simpilest schematic. I'm lucky I learned as much about engines as I did before them !!

Quick Reply: Good evening to all !