New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

2001 saturn sl1

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Default 2001 saturn sl1

I have a 01 saturn sl1 it ran hot and has brown gooey stuff in my coolant resivor, engine and radiator. It blocked up my everything it was so thick. I did a flush with hot water and seems to have cleared it out. It ran fine no problems other than running hot and the brown gooey stuff any ideas

Old 06-03-2018, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Water and oil milkshake.

The coolant and engine oil should never mix. In your case they have. Usually the result of a blown head gasket.

I would get it repaired ASAP -- you don't want that mikshake everywhere. Your engine's internals are not getting lubricated properly and the entire engine is not being cooled properly as the milkshake does not act as a good coolant.

Furthermore, many parts not designed to come into contact something water-based are being exposed to it, and parts not designed to come into contact with oil are being exposed to it.

Since it doesn't immediately reoccur, you likely have a small to moderate failure of the head gasket, slowly allowing the oil and coolant to mix.

The problem will only get worse with time, and eventually there will likely be a catastrophic failref of the head gasket. The car will massively overheat to the point that the head may warp and require machining to make it seal again.

Any idea how long it took (miles) to go from normal to massive milkshake?

The repair cost is in the labor.

Get a quote for the repair and decide if you want to put $$ into the car.

If you don't, list on Craigslist etc with full disclosure. Many DIYers will buy it, fix it, and flip it if it is in good condition.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:16 AM

Im not sure how long it has been like that I bought the car a few weeks ago and drive it home maybe 15 miles and it overheated at the top of the street so I cut it off threw it in neutral and coasted to the driveway popped the hood and seen the goo coming out

Old 06-03-2018, 06:55 AM

Seems like someone took your money and sold you a car with a major repair needed. Unless you're a do it yourself kind of guy like most of us here, you're going to have to open that wallet and dig deep to get that fixed. I wish you the best of luck with it. Derf went into great detail about what's happening with your engine.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

I would say they failed to disclose all known information prior to the sale.

Don't spend a cent until you go demand your money back and threaten to sue him. It is a straightforward case of fraud.
Find the forms you need to file in small claims court online, print them out, and begin to fill them. They may take you more seriously.

That degree of failure did not go unnoticed by the previous owner.
Did the car have absolutely fresh new oil in it? How long did you test drive it?
Usually, the first thing I do is start a car up and strike up a conversation about its history. I let it get to operating temp. If it keeps going up, I walk away -- then the owner spills the beans -- or at least some of them.

It is possible he knew it was on the verge of failure but if the oil was sparking clean I think he knew.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:09 PM

There is barely any oil in the car and what is in there is black as black can be. I got the car from a guy but the title was at an auction I signed a paper for it as is

Old 06-04-2018, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yep -- gotta be sharp at the auctions.
Now we likely know why it was up for auction.

The choice is yours if you want to put the money into it.
The biggest problem is that with a blown head gasket, you will likely get funky readings on at least one cyl and maybe more on the compression test.

I would still do one on all 4 cylinders, WOT to try to get a handle on the health of the engine before you start pouring money into it.