General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Where is my starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Default Where is my starter?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm having difficulty finding this info online. I have a 99 saturn sl2. All the lights and buzzers come on just fine, but when I try to start it... nothing. No click, no turning over.. I tried to jump it to see if it was a weak battery, but that didn't change anything. I want to look at the starter next, but not sure exactly where it's located on this chariot of neverending repair joy. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned

Find the large battery cable coming from positive terminal your battery, and run your fingers along it until it ends up at the back end of the starter. Best accomplished from the "underneath your car" position. Ensure your car is properly supported with jackstands or ramps or rack so you are safe and do not become a "pancake" ......

Old 07-13-2009, 11:56 AM

Thanks OA... don't know if you remember me, but you helped me figure out a malfunctioning radiator fan last month. That ended up being a wire melted to the manifold... thanks for you help there. Since then, aside from the fan, my shifter linkage broke, had to replace 2 tires, and now this.... ugh.

I'll try to trace that wire and see where I end up... will report back

Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM

Ok... traced the cable, found the starter, beat on it with my tire iron, and now the car starts again. I was able to start it about 10 times in a row after that. Hopefully it keeps working for a while, but I'll assume this means my starter is on it's way out???

Forgot to add... I got attacked by a wasp in the process....dammit.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Whoa -- you tell us your car came "fully-equipped, inc/wasps" --

I won't laugh, cuz them rascals hurt. Hope you're not allergic to 'em.

But, as far as the starter, yeah - the solenoid contacts inside the starter are starting to go bad. Some people have had luck just replacing the solenoid portion, but I personally would go the whole way. More expensive, but better results.