Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Need Starter Replacment SC1 help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Just traded for a 95 SC1 Saturn 1.9 5 speed with a bad starter. I have never worked on any car this new, I am in to street rods and such. Was wondering if anyone could offersome guidance in replacing the starter? The parts store quoted me $116.00 plus old starter, is that fair? Also told me there was 2 different starters one by Delco and other by Valeo, any one now the difference or how to tell. Will ether one work?

Sure hope this will be a good driver, it sure looks great for 120,000 miles and drives ok. Any thing I should know or look into as regards to issues for this model?

Well it is cold in Ohio now and my 47 Chevy is not getting much attention...... [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Thank for being there for me,

Bluesman [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2006, 08:57 AM

whatever gets you back to workin on the 47 ill help with! the quote sounds right, although you should get a core refund when you bring the old one in. at least thats how it works here in omaha, ne. Delco or Valeo will most likely work fine, both are probably rebuilds. go with the one that has the best warranty if there is no price difference. As far as guidance, ive never done a saturn, but im doing a radiator pull in a few hours, ill let you know when i get under there. It shouldnt be more than 3 or 4 long bolts and a few wires. Mark the wires, mark the wires, mark the wires, mark the wires. Ok first step, mark the wires, so you know where they go when you pull the old starter and put the new one on. so mark the wires, (haha i know, but you gotta do it!) and disconnect them from the old starter. get underneath and just start unbolting the starter. Break loose each bolt before you take one completely out. have some break free, or wd-40 or something handy, you dont want to shear a starter bolt. so break each one loose, then take them out. be careful, the starter isnt exactly light, protect your noodle! It helps to get a hand to hold the new starter in place while you bolt it up. Once its all bolted up, make sure you torque it down. Now, since you've marked the wires, just put em on the new starter. Get the all clear, and crank the beast up!