General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

What happened to my post??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by mrpackrat
FYI it was the coolant sending unit-replaced it the gauge works the engine starts beautifully cold or hot and runs and drives great...

FYI

Your question has been asked 1000s of times in this and other SATURN forums its almost mind numbing to see it asked again when a little research and problem solved .... results the same each time.

I use trash cans, I do not litter unless I''m going on a road trip. If that road trips takes me via texas I save up all the trash I can just to pitch out the window when in texas, thats what I think of their slogan.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM

I think I have it figured out. The coolant temp sender is saying the engine is -8 degree celcius when it is about 80 degrees outside.
Pretty common issue.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM

LOL, me too(on the trash deal)-I hate Texas and got to keep people employed picking up garbage!!! Sorry about asking the many annoying question-I do not own a saturn and this is the first time I have been on a saturn forum(working on it for a customer), and I did a search for about an hour before posting, but I am gone now and will probably never be back(unless this saturn or someone brings in another one with a problem that I cannot figure out like I normally do).

Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 AM

OK, I am back!! This same car just came back with the check engine light on and doing a comical thing. The temp gauge is acting weird-popping up from cold to 1/4 way up and then dropping back down, and at the same time the engine rpm''s are going from 500 to 1500 and back and forth. The trouble codes are engine control relay and trans temp sensor. I can clear the codes and the trans sensor comes back immediately and the check engine light goes off but immediately pops back on....any ideas?? I have done a search but nothing comes up. I figure one of you saturn experts know exactly what is wrong with this car...Thanks Bob

Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 AM

correct-with my nemisys obdll tester-that is what it read-like below freezing even when it was 100 degrees F here...
Failing ETCS is an extremely common thing. And not just in Saturns. And the funny thing is dealer know this. They''ll recommend all kinds of expensive work and then just replace the sensor. See it happen many times.

Had a friend with a Civic with similar simptoms. He kept taking the car to the dealer and after nearly $1000 in sensors replaced and $200 worth of engine, tranny and coolant flushed, the problems was still there. I suggested to him that he change the coolant temperature sensor. $20 later the car was running fine.