General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Tranny shifter lighting up, wont change gears.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 04:30 PM
Default Tranny shifter lighting up, wont change gears.

2008 astra xe. Transmission was serviced 18mos ago. On occasion upon starting the gear indicators would all light up, put back into park then reshift to reverse or drive. It now lights up and only shifted and drove in first gear ( had to get it home) but was fine 20 mins ago when we went out. Is it the computer? Anyone have this issue? Tranny isnt low( is maintained) Figured id ask if this is a common issue with these b4 going to a mechanic. It has had some computer issues, for now am stumped.

NVM. It reset itself. But anyone else whos had this happened please post.

Last edited by Astra2008; 01-24-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Catch a code when the tranny is misbehaving. Use a high enough end scanner that will read transmission codes and manufacturer specific codes.

Very few astral owners pass through this site. You may want to try some of the opel forums based in Europe as the car is the Saturn version of one of the opels.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:37 PM

I dont know about the astras, but chryslers start to do that when the shifter is starting to go. I cant remember if the astra is electronically controlled or if its old school shifter and cable

Old 01-25-2023, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Catch a code when the tranny is misbehaving. Use a high enough end scanner that will read transmission codes and manufacturer specific codes.

Very few astral owners pass through this site. You may want to try some of the opel forums based in Europe as the car is the Saturn version of one of the opels.
ok ty. We have a code reader and if it occurs again will scan it.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:12 AM

Make sure the code reader can scan transmission codes, too. You can always bring it to a local parts store as well and see if there is any stored/pending codes. They'll scan it for free

Old 01-25-2023, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

But not for tranny codes or body control module codes or communication codes. Only for p codes. . So if it has the problem but the service engine soon might doesn't light up, chances are an auto parts store with a generic scanner cannot read The transmission codes. Some manufacturers have them as the '0700 series of codes. All depends

Old 01-26-2023, 08:19 AM

Some transmission shops MIGHT read the codes for free, BUT whatever you do, DO NOT take it to an AAMCO. That means All Automatics Must Come Out. I had a buddy with a Mustang II back in te 80's and it quit shifting. He went to AAMCO and they told him he needed a new transmission. I told him not to let them touch it. I got under it, found a vacuum line had split and fallen off a shift modulator and cut it off straight, put it back on and it worked just fine. DO NOT trust AAMCO. They tried to tell me it was going to be $1,000 to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I had an independent garage do it for $350.

Old 01-26-2023, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Some transmission shops MIGHT read the codes for free, BUT whatever you do, DO NOT take it to an AAMCO. That means All Automatics Must Come Out. I had a buddy with a Mustang II back in te 80's and it quit shifting. He went to AAMCO and they told him he needed a new transmission. I told him not to let them touch it. I got under it, found a vacuum line had split and fallen off a shift modulator and cut it off straight, put it back on and it worked just fine. DO NOT trust AAMCO. They tried to tell me it was going to be $1,000 to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I had an independent garage do it for $350.
i have a trustworthy independent mechanic business ( has same code scanner as dealers do)we go to since my dad retired from car work. AAMCO are a bunch of crooks, they prey on non mechanical car owners all too often. 🙄

Old 01-26-2023, 04:32 PM

Happened again just now...also traction control light is on. Too bad we're in middle of nowhere as its a great time to code read it. Think ive shot myself in foot as tranny oil is indeed low. Gonna wait and hope it resets limp it home add oil into it. So mad at myself for neglecting this, i know better!