Engine cut out transmission slam in and out

Old 11-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Default Engine cut out transmission slam in and out

2002 Saturn Vue driving down the highway 70 miles an hour speedometer starts fluctuating engine Cuts in and out transmission slams in and out now tranny has no torque in drive, how to start out manually in low gear and when shift into drive loud bang

Old 11-03-2017, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you may have a cvt automatic transmission. If so it may have expired. If you have a 5 speed automatic maybe we can help.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

-1) No double posting please. Especially when the symptom descriptions do not even come close to matching. No one has time for that.
0) I don't see a question.???? I'll assume the question is "what's wrong?"
1) speedometer fluctuating above and below 70 or 70 and below?
2) Engine cuts in and out? You mean stalls and restarts? This is odd behavior for an automatic tranny vehicle. Do you mean engine POWER cuts in and out? Please clarify
3) Transmission slams in and out of what to what? One forward gear to another forward gear and back? Same two gears all the time? One forward gear to Neutral and back?
4) Tranny Slams when shifting but lands in proper gear? Then slips out? Into a forward drive gear? Neutral? Please clarify.
5) Tranny has no torque in drive=vehicle cannot move at all in Drive?? OR does it have very low torque/power when shifted into drive? Please clarify.
6) Starting out in Low gears works ok, but when you shift into normal "Drive", there is a loud bang? Can the car move in normal Drive? Is the bang occurring when it shifts into gear or is there a delay? Please clarify.
7) What are the transmission fluid level and color? Does it smell burnt?
8) Is the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" or "Service" light illuminated? If so, please have the diagnostic codes read at autozone or similar for free if you can get the vehicle there. If not you may be able to do a loan a tool for a basic scanner where you put down a deposit, take the tool home, use it, bring it back, and get your deposit back --so it's free. The codes will tell us what the vehicle has self diagnosed from its own self analysis.
9) How many miles on the vehicle and at what mileage was the transmission fluid last changed?
10) Does the vehicle drive/shift normally at low speeds?
11) Does the vehicle work in reverse?

Without knowing which gears are involved, we can't condemn a particular clutch pack or band or solenoid or even know if the Transmission Control Module is involved.
Knowing the codes is invaluable because it often provides information you would otherwise have to start dismantling the tranny to find out
Might also be a torque converter issue.

THESE ARE GUESSES.

Need the additional info requested above

Old 11-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

cvt's were 03 and 04 only

WRONG

EDIT: CVTs used in the Vue: 2002-2004
CVTs used in the ION: 2003-2004

Ya learn something every day

Last edited by derf; 11-03-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Default 02 Saturn vue

I have a M45 5 speed Tiptronic transmission while traveling at highway speed it would suddenly jump in and out of gear and the speedometer fluctuate after I stopped I couldn't get any torque out of drive it would very very slowly move the car I'd have to shift to low gear and then back into drive to get it going. It's sad all night and now it's running fine, anyone got an idea what it might be

Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by dnelson1941
I have a M45 5 speed Tiptronic transmission while traveling at highway speed it would suddenly jump in and out of gear and the speedometer fluctuate after I stopped I couldn't get any torque out of drive it would very very slowly move the car I'd have to shift to low gear and then back into drive to get it going. It's sad all night and now it's running fine, anyone got an idea what it might be
to me it sounds like the transmission or engine is jumping into limp mode. Is the check engine light on, is engine power reduced engine on (usually looks similar to check engine light, at least on my Vue, with a down arrow)?

Old 11-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Default 02 Saturn vue

Yeah I've been running with couple of different check engine lights on so I didn't see any difference I'll have to take it somewhere and have it codes pulled

Old 11-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the enhanced problem description and the additional information about the vehicle being fine the next morning.
That key bit of information greatly narrows down the possibilities of what the source of the problem may be.
The info about multiple Service engine lights being on is also crucial. Indeed, getting the codes read should help us take a giant leap forward in tracking down the problem.
Hopefully, any transmission codes, if there are any, will show up as P0070 and other P07xx codes. Some of the codes are stored in the transmission Control Module (TCM) and require a more sophisticated scanner than Autozone's to read them.
But I'm getting ahead of things.

Getting the codes read at Autozone or similar is definitely the next step per Strider's recommendation. I would suggest you ask them if the down arrow (per Strider) is on. This is a critical piece of information. Be sure to request a printout of each code for your records and so that you don't have to memorize them (i can't).

When you post the codes here, please post them here as Pxxxx, where the xxxx is a four digit number. The code descriptions from autozone are often bogus -- we'll sort them out for you

Thanks

Derf

Old 11-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Default 02 Saturn vue

Okay I went to AutoZone and got the codes pulled out there's quite a few of them I have a p0327 a p0161 p0056 P0700 and a p0562 what do you think

Old 11-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Default 02 Saturn vue

By the way they didn't know anything about a down arrow

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine cut out transmission slam in and out