General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Starting issues on 99 Saturn

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Default Starting issues on 99 Saturn

I have a bit of a mystery on my hands. First the facts. I replaced the battery when i got the car and all was well. I noticed one day when i got in my car that the clock was not on. I turned the key over and everything lit up as it should but.... there was still no display on my radio. No clock, no radio station, no nothing. the LED back light was on but no display. Needless to say the car did not start. No clicking no moaning, no nothing. I got out and tried to lock the doors with my remote and it failed. A few days later i was getting something out of the car and noticed that the clock was on! I tried starting the car and EUREKA it started. But alas the clock failed on me again and the car sat another few weeks. Since Feb the clock has come on 3 times but never lasts more than a day or two. Since then I checked my battery cables and every possible fuse i could see. PLEASE help me!

Last edited by JamesOdell; 04-26-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Banned

Hmmmmm -- Could this be considered as "timed obsolence" ??

But seriously, replace the IP BAT fuse(30amp) located in the Underhood Junction Block (UHJB). Sounds like the fuse is intermittent, or has a poor connection.

Of course, there is the "old standby problem" of a defective positive battery cable failure, but your failure description doesn't quite fit your set of circumstances as outlined

Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM

Ok, so I replaced the fuse and even went as far as testing each fuse in the UHJB. All's well. No corrosion or indication of age on the wires. I have gone as far as to pull the radio out to see if there was a remote power wire problem with the radio. can't seem to locate that though. I can tell you this, it stopped working again for about 2 weeks and then all the sudden the clock is on and the car starts. I have taken the steering column apart and checked the ignition switch and all the wires in the socket look great. no signs of wear........ i have tried tapping the starter while having someone turn the key over... (this was done when the clock was off) Nothing. no clicks no sounds no nothing...

Question.... is there a lithium battery in this car that keeps the clock going ... soothing like KAM Keep Alive Memory. I know this is the case in ALL computers and i know there is a computer of sorts in this car. could it be a KAM or Lithium battery ...

Old 05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

When the clock comes back on, is it reading the correct time,or is it at 12:00?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM

It reads 12:00 when it comes back.

Last edited by JamesOdell; 06-01-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Banned

OK -- The next occasion you have time to chase this ghost, turn the ignition key to the 'ON' mode. If the clock is out, close up your fist, and with the side of your fist away from your thumb, give the steering column near the ignition switch a vigorous 'thump'.

Aslo, check the 'CHIME' fuse on the Instrument Panel Junction Block (IPJB) ......

Old 06-02-2009, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

so the clock is truly off and any KAM is clearly not KAM'ing (if it exists)

Old 06-02-2009, 01:42 PM

OceanArcher... ahh yes .. the classic .."Technical Tap" eh? The next time it is off I will give that a shot. Adversely, I have tried wiggling wires and connectors to make the clock go off. that way I could see where the problem may exist.

Derf, Exactly .... not KAMing ... if such a thing exists or if that's even an accurate acronym

Old 06-03-2009, 02:06 PM

Update: I have removed the stereo (not fun) and the car is still starting. I figure if there is some sort of battery keeping the clock on I will see if the car continues to start. Also Chime fuse is good

Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Default radio

I had a similar problem on my 2000 after a few days of sitting it would just be dead. I replaced the radio and it cured the problem.