Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

Starting issues??? need help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Hey guys this is my first time here and I hope I can explain my questions clearly. I guess we will see.

Problem:
2001 Saturn 3dr
I parked the car and ran into a store to get whatever and come back to a car that would not start?? The key would turn on and the lights and everything worked fine but the car wouldn’t turn over at all?? Well I walked home to get my truck and trailer to pick the car up by the time I got back to my car I hit the auto start just to see if it would start and wouldn’t you believe it, It did start so I had a friend just drive it home! Well once II got home I turned to car off and tried starting it again with nothing??? Now I’m really confused! Well I let it sit over the weekend and tried it again and nothing so I loaded it on the trailer and drove it to my shop! Once I pull it in the shop (pushing) I tried to start it again and it started right up. Maybe even 3 or 4 times!!!! But on the last try nothing again! What do you guys think I should look at first????

Do you think it is a bad ground or something???

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! Thanks

Brian
98tjls@gmail.com

Old 07-08-2008, 03:24 PM

if you turn the key and nothing happens. then it sounds like a bad starter. very common on the s series.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by IVI4ssacre
if you turn the key and nothing happens. then it sounds like a bad starter. very common on the s series.

It will work a couple times and then nothing? This only happens sporadically. Do you think it’s the starter???

Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM

if you turn the key and it doesn''t crank. hit the starter with a hammer. the starter is underneath the intake manifold. i usually take my pry bar and put it through the intake runners so it;s ontop of the starter. then it the pry bar a few times with a hammer as someone is turning the key.if it starts then it''s the starter.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Check the wiring at the starter for loose or corroded connection. Also check connections at battery terminals for corrosion.

If all seems well and hammer trick works, starter solenoid is indeed probably on its way out.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 PM

Loose wire at terminal.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM

Man you guys are great! Thank you!! I did the pry bar test and the thing started right up!!! </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></vath><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape> So now my question is how do I go about changing the starter out? Is it accessible from under the car or do I have to go from the top?? It looks tight as hell in there?????

Thanks guys!!!!!!