Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/)
-   -   Starting issues on 99 Saturn (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-13/starting-issues-99-saturn-3202/)

JamesOdell 04-26-2009 12:03 AM

Starting issues on 99 Saturn

I have a bit of a mystery on my hands. First the facts. I replaced the battery when i got the car and all was well. I noticed one day when i got in my car that the clock was not on. I turned the key over and everything lit up as it should but.... there was still no display on my radio. No clock, no radio station, no nothing. the LED back light was on but no display. Needless to say the car did not start. No clicking no moaning, no nothing. I got out and tried to lock the doors with my remote and it failed. A few days later i was getting something out of the car and noticed that the clock was on! I tried starting the car and EUREKA it started. But alas the clock failed on me again and the car sat another few weeks. Since Feb the clock has come on 3 times but never lasts more than a day or two. Since then I checked my battery cables and every possible fuse i could see. PLEASE help me!

OceanArcher 04-26-2009 07:59 AM

Hmmmmm -- Could this be considered as "timed obsolence" ??

But seriously, replace the IP BAT fuse(30amp) located in the Underhood Junction Block (UHJB). Sounds like the fuse is intermittent, or has a poor connection.

Of course, there is the "old standby problem" of a defective positive battery cable failure, but your failure description doesn't quite fit your set of circumstances as outlined

JamesOdell 05-31-2009 03:17 PM

Ok, so I replaced the fuse and even went as far as testing each fuse in the UHJB. All's well. No corrosion or indication of age on the wires. I have gone as far as to pull the radio out to see if there was a remote power wire problem with the radio. can't seem to locate that though. I can tell you this, it stopped working again for about 2 weeks and then all the sudden the clock is on and the car starts. I have taken the steering column apart and checked the ignition switch and all the wires in the socket look great. no signs of wear........ i have tried tapping the starter while having someone turn the key over... (this was done when the clock was off) Nothing. no clicks no sounds no nothing...

Question.... is there a lithium battery in this car that keeps the clock going ... soothing like KAM Keep Alive Memory. I know this is the case in ALL computers and i know there is a computer of sorts in this car. could it be a KAM or Lithium battery ...

derf 05-31-2009 04:59 PM

When the clock comes back on, is it reading the correct time,or is it at 12:00?

JamesOdell 06-01-2009 09:23 AM

It reads 12:00 when it comes back.

OceanArcher 06-01-2009 08:51 PM

OK -- The next occasion you have time to chase this ghost, turn the ignition key to the 'ON' mode. If the clock is out, close up your fist, and with the side of your fist away from your thumb, give the steering column near the ignition switch a vigorous 'thump'.

Aslo, check the 'CHIME' fuse on the Instrument Panel Junction Block (IPJB) ......

derf 06-02-2009 05:59 AM

so the clock is truly off and any KAM is clearly not KAM'ing (if it exists)

JamesOdell 06-02-2009 01:42 PM

OceanArcher... ahh yes .. the classic .."Technical Tap" eh? The next time it is off I will give that a shot. Adversely, I have tried wiggling wires and connectors to make the clock go off. that way I could see where the problem may exist.

Derf, Exactly .... not KAMing ... if such a thing exists or if that's even an accurate acronym

JamesOdell 06-03-2009 02:06 PM

Update: I have removed the stereo (not fun) and the car is still starting. I figure if there is some sort of battery keeping the clock on I will see if the car continues to start. Also Chime fuse is good

tfg11199 06-08-2009 08:31 AM

radio

I had a similar problem on my 2000 after a few days of sitting it would just be dead. I replaced the radio and it cured the problem.