General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Removed stereo, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Default Removed stereo, now car won't start

I removed the stereo in my 02 Saturn SC1 in order to get a CD that was stuck in the player. In order to get the stereo out, I had to remove the dash panel that goes across the steering column, gages and down the front of the ac/stereo. After I reinstalled the stereo & panel my car won’t start. It will crank once or twice… then nothing. It is not clicking as if the battery is dead, but if I jump it with cables it starts. I am wondering if when removed the dash I inadvertently pulled something lose.

In addition, I have been having problems with turning my key in the ignition. I wiggle the wheel for a while and jiggle the key it will finally turn

Last edited by sw2cam; 06-11-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

Replace the ignition switch module before it fails entirely, when you are parked on a dark road somewhere, all alone, and a dead cell phone .......

Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 PM

my first thought in reading this was a security system issue. My friend had a similiar problem on his chevy malibu after messing with the stereo but you can jump it so i dont know

re: ignition assembly, yeah replace that quicklike. In my experience that is NOTORIOUS to go out in every saturn i've owned. My last one went through three...

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by naener80
I removed the stereo in my 02 Saturn SC1 in order to get a CD that was stuck in the player. In order to get the stereo out, I had to remove the dash panel that goes across the steering column, gages and down the front of the ac/stereo. After I reinstalled the stereo & panel my car won’t start. It will crank once or twice… then nothing. It is not clicking as if the battery is dead, but if I jump it with cables it starts. I am wondering if when removed the dash I inadvertently pulled something lose.

In addition, I have been having problems with turning my key in the ignition. I wiggle the wheel for a while and jiggle the key it will finally turn

If you took all of that out of the car to remove the radio then your an idiot.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

woefully uninformed at a minimum