General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

few issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Thumbs down few issues...

First issue is starter has a dead spot.. come out and nothing.... so hit it a few times with a crow bar throught the intake and pops off... but got a starter waiting to be put in....

second issue is with the heating and cooling...
first off i dont know that my cooling fan is working ...
but had the coolant light come on so checked it and it was low didnt see a leak but had the tell tail belt strip on the inside of the hood... but added some and it's good but bought a pump and going to be putting it in...

but looked like it was leaking from the resiviour like it was cracked so i got a new one and it's still hasnt leaked and i havent put the resiviour in yet...

so on closer inspection it looked like it would over heat a bit (but only at middle line on guage)and would be comming out the res cap...

but would it make sence that i have a bad thermastat or somthing so the pressure is building in the res and making it leak from the cap? even thought i have great heat inside.....

i donno just looking for some sugestions and possibly a few places to start looking......

Old 06-09-2009, 12:56 PM

o and hard start but read enought on here about that so going to replace the ects

Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

OK -- Seems like there are multiple problems here:

1) Temp gauge shows about mid-point, but getting overflow from the coolant tank. Start from a cold engine, and proper level in the coolant tank. Start the engine, and check for bubbles ... suspect the head gasket is blown.

2) You mentioned that the radiator cooling fan wires had been cut. If the car was driven in stop/go traffic in this condition for very long, suspect the engine was overheated and caused the head gasket to blow out (or worse, the head to crack).

3) Might be a good idea to pull the spark plugs, and check for fouling of the gap (which would cause very hard starting). Good luck .....

Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM

never sad they were cuz but said it doesnt seem to be working i havnt checked on if yet

Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM

and no bubbles and has been at req level since it did it last and filled it up also weather has no affect happened when it was cold like50's a few weeks back and one again in the 80's

Old 06-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

The reservoir caps can go bad and leak, causing overheating.

Fix your cooling fan issue before you trash your engine.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM

fuse is good and going to check the relay ... replaced the starter and it starts like a dream now..

Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 PM

well tested the relay and the relay is good now for the fun...... i ****ing hate electrical issue