Saturn 3 Door Coupes SC1 and SC2

2000 SC1...few ?’s

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Hello,

Just picked up a 2000 SC1 for a daily commuter. Has SOHC & 5 speed. Run's and drives out very nice. But there are a few things I'm curious about.

First, in the morning after warming up for a bit the RPM's are about 900 +/- . Then taking off down the road and up shifting the RPM's stay at about 2000 for a second or so after letting off the gas pedal. They will drop if I coast. No problems after several miles and all warmed up. When warm and coming to a complete stop, RPM's stay at 1200 for a couple seconds or so than drop to 800 +/-. Is this normal?

Second, at highway speeds (60+) there is a very high frequency vibration. Almost unnoticable except that the rearview mirror makes the image slightly blurry and can barely feel it in the wheel and shifter.I don't think it's wheel, tire or suspension related. Perhaps something in the driveline? I had a similar experience in my Mercedes that turned out to be a driveshaft flexdisk that was bad. I'm guessing this car has no such thing, but perhaps worn subframe or motor mounts (Mercedes experience too)? Or is this normal?

Lastly, all electrical related stuff appears to work just fine. No blown fuses, dimming lights, etc. Again at highway speeds there's a sound coming from the dash/console area. Almost sounds like a solenoid clicking. It's not continous, happens at random, not casued by road surface conditions and makes no difference what (if any) electrical things are operating. Any ideas?

I realize I've got an old car with a lot of miles, and some of these things mentioned might be SOP. But if something is giving me a heads up of a potential issue, I'd like to nip it in the bud.

Thanks,

Cliff
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 PM

Update:

Seem to have traced high freq vibe to a well worn upper engine mount. Replaced it and things are much better.

Dash clicking sound was traced to a loose radio. The two screws were not tightened down. Was told by seller radio was recently replced. A simple fix.

Haven't investigated the (seemingly) high idle. Any suggestions??

Cliff

Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 PM

when your rpms float stick for a second than drop it sounds to me like your throttle position sensor is gunked up take the intake off and spray the throttle body down wit cleaner 2-3 times should stop that from happening

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/">
</>
< ="text/">
_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>
Edited by: sadurnSC2

Old 04-14-2008, 01:56 PM

You might also want to remove the throttle body then remove the IAC and clean up the back side of the throttle plate and the passages. They get pretty gunked up.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 PM

OK...Thanks for tips. I have a Haynes manual now, so next weekend I have some time I'll investigate further.

Thanks,
Cliff