Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Collision to the rear, car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Exclamation Collision to the rear, car won't start.

Hey everyone. Long time troller, first time poster.
I own a 2001 SL2.
Today I had another car run into my rear doing about 20mph. I pull into a nearby lot and the A-hole keeps on driving. I try to follow, but to no avail.
So, when I turn the car off and try and start it again. It won't start. All of the electric works, but it won't even crank. I hear a few clicks when I first turn the key to on, and then a fast buzzing or clicking when I twist the key to start it. I lifted the hood, and I noticed that one of the gang vent caps on the battery had popped up. I don't know if that is related in anyway, but I had not noticed it before.
Also, my airbag did not deploy, but the airbag light is now flashing and I have a good deal of anxiety about the thing bursting while I'm in it. The car also has a new starter if that helps with anything.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.
-Barn

Old 06-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Is your trunk light now staying on and possibly draining the battery?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned

Sounds like the jolt may have loosened one or more of the main battery connections - or even possibly shook a plate loose in the battery itself. That would cause a "shorted cell" condition, and leave you with insufficient power to start the car.

First, check all the battery connections, at both ends of the cables. Then, get a voltmeter, and measure the battery voltage. With the key off, it should read about 13.6vdc

Next, have someone monitor the voltage as you try to start the car. If you drop more than 10%, I'd suspect a bad battery. The flashing light on the airbag is just a warning that it's not working properly, but airbags don't normally deploy from a rear end strike