General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Remote start glitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Default Remote start glitch

Hello, I'm a new member looking for advice. My vehicle is a 08 VUE Xr 3.6 AWD with a dealer installed remote starter. As of late when I remote start my VUE the rear washer jets start pumping fluid and won't stop until I shut off the car. I belive there is only one pump which must use solenoids or a diverter valve for front and rear usage. Bad solenoid/valve or the dash switch ? Ground fault ? I just had the bcm replaced for other issues and this is still happening. Any ideas are very welcomed.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:00 PM

I always add extra grounds to my cars just because you can never have enough.
the stalk is common to go out on these tho. So may wanna start there

Old 12-11-2020, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DropDead
I always add extra grounds to my cars just because you can never have enough.
That's pretty funny.
That's also what creates ground loops. The voltage potential at those supposed grounds are not all the same. This creates small currents running out of one circuit and into another based on the actual difference in voltage potential.

This may not matter for some things but in general with electronics you want to avoid this . Obviously if there is an issue of insufficient grounding of part of the circuit, by all means do what you need to to ground it.

The concept of single point grounding is such that by running all the grounds together and tying the ends in one place to the frame, you are ensuring that the ground side of the circuits are all at the same level as potential so there will be no current running around between the grounds. This is why you see a ground splice packs instead of a ground being attached to a second one and a third one hanging off of that but together with two more with a fifth one leading out to the next one .

I can also tell you from experience it is even more fun trying to diagnose somebody else's effed up circuit board when the grounding was not configured correctly in the design. Integrated circuits do not appreciate rogue currents running around where they are not supposed to be.

like I said, sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't.