General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Radiator Petcock S-Series

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2020, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you.

Turns out that they used this style of radiator drain plug in the 91 to 93 s cars, so whoever replaced my radiator 10 years ago used one meant for a 93 .

The catcher is that there is a square outer box type deal that has broken off of the part that spins.

Worse yet, when I went to remove the piece still sitting in the radiator, the retainer tangs kept me from pulling it out. They were only on two sides and I did not know which two.

The end result is that as soon as I touched it, it fell into the radiator. for the life of me, I cannot locate that piece right inside the hole where it should be resting. Bright light, mirrors, fishing with zip ties, angle nosed tweezers. Nothing

It's like it is sitting in a recess at the bottom corner of the tank that is shaped especially for that piece when it falls in.

I'm wondering if it was designed this way as the piece is sitting out of the flow path of coolant and gravity should keep it down there. it will not melt as it has been exposed to coolant for many a year.

It is seemingly designed to not be removable once inserted. I'm going to pick up a replacement right now. I could use this situation to justify getting a cheap boroscope but I probably won't.

If I had a*&!!?(+_& lift, I could likely get my head in a position to see what the deal is.

I need to do some work on my abs to be able to hold a 45 degree flat crunch position for minutes at a time. The cost of a lift pays for itself. Especially since I am trying to maintain my 2016 Audi A3 and the end of the extended warranty is coming up as well as the prepaid service by the previous owner. They change fluids like there is no tomorrow every 3 weeks. Oil is from the top, the rest are not.