General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Power Windows Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Default Power Windows Stopped Working

I am hoping that someone can tell me what part(s) need to be replaced to correct this issue. After washing my car the power windows no longer worked. Prior to that, they all worked fine.

The symptoms are as follows:
None of the power windows move up or down using either: the master control box located between the driver and passenger seats, or using the controls on the two rear doors.

These following symptoms existed some time before the windows stopped working:
The power side view mirrors works fully on the passenger side, on the driver's side it only moves up and done.

Power locks:
Using the control on the driver's door everything works except the rear driver's side door ( no action at all) Using the fob - only the two passenger side locks work.

I am only interested in fixing the power windows. I included the other symptoms as information only in hopes it may point someone in the right direction.

Does each window have its own motor?

Does each window have its own switch?

Thanks
Joe

2000 SL1 Sedan
188,000 K

Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM

Yep, each window has its own motor. Sounds to me like you simply blew a fuse though. Check your fuse box and get back to us. Now, I'm not sure whether the fuse for the power windows is in the box under the hood or the box inside the car. Someone with more knowledge will have to tell you that. You should be able to tell if each window has a switch. Does each door panel have a button that controls the window? If so, then, yeah, each window has its own switch.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Thanks for your response - unfortunately it is not the fuse. I tried that before posting. the fuse is located in the box by the passenger seat. I replaced the window fuse with the power lock fuse - the locks worked, but the windows still didn't.

It seems unlikely to me that all four window motors went at the same time.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again - it is appreciated.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Now it's a hunt and search for power to the switch.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 PM

There has got to be a connection between washing it and them all failing, Joe. Now, I'm not at all familiar with your car, but I still think you shorted something out. Did you power wash under the hood, by any chance? If so, take a close look at the under hood fuse box and if you have to, pull every fuse and relay and reinsert them. Check each fuse carefully and see if any are labeled for the power windows. I wish I could tell you more, but if that doesn't work, the sw2cam is right in the fact that you're going to have to start checking for power at each switch. I'd personally start with the master switch first, if it were me. That is after checking the under hood fuse box first.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Banned

Joe --

The windows issue is separate from both the door lock AND the powered mirrors.

Based on what you've written, I'd first swap out your window relay located on the Instrument Panel Fuse Block (the relay is about $5, and I usually keep a spare with me in the car). Second possibility is that the ground return wire (BLK) has come loose either at the left body ground splice pack, or at the master switch assembly between the seats. Oh, and don't forget, make sure the rear window lockout switch is set in the right position, or the rear switches will never work

Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 AM

Dang, window lock button! You're brilliant OA. That happened to my oldest brother with a new Kia van he bought and he took it back to the dealership. Dude had it figured out in less than 10 seconds. Brother said he felt like an idiot, because he didn't even know it had that button!

Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM

This is why I'm a manual windows kind of guy! Allthough my front passenger and both rear windows never roll down right simply because I cant reach them well from the drivers seat! Trying to roll down the passenger window while driving is just as dangerous as texting lol. Especially with my stiff window rollers!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM

Dan: I used to be the same way. Less is more, or less is less to fix. For the past 20 years that went out the window, power window in fact. I want power windows, I want power mirrors. Power everything is fine with me. I don't need back up camera's. I don't need a lot of stuff that's on new cars. A lot of stuff that's standard on new cars in fact, but that'll not keep me from buying when the time comes.

This 07 ION coupe I bought used is a fine driver. After driving another of the sites members 2.4L ION I had to have one. I found just what I wanted, just the way I wanted it. Well leather wasn't on my wanted list, but it didn't stop me from buying. It does have a manual transmission but I would have bought an automatic.

j_dobso2: It's not that easy, we can't just tell you or anyone that comes on here with a problem just what part it needs. First it takes understanding and then it takes searching. We can not do the searching for you unless you drop the car off to us. I for one will not spend my time to find and repair anyone's car without getting paid. I get paid when I go to work, you get paid when you go to work. There are things that I have to send out for repairs, or have someone come to my house and do the repair. That's life. We can try to point you in the right direction the rest is up to you.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Doesn't look like the OP is coming back on this one. I wonder if the suggestion by Ocean Archer about the window lock button was what did the trick?

Quick Reply: Power Windows Stopped Working