General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

new to me L300 - a few general Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Default new to me L300 - a few general Q's

Hi all, TIA in advance for any and all help.

Just got a 2002 L300 with just under 70k miles on it. Have a couple issues I'd like to get help on:

1) The previous owner, to be polite, was less than a stellar driver, and so there are tire rubs on pretty much both bumpers as well as the L R quater panel. On a metal bodied car an easy fix with rubbing compound to cut in and buff out the paint. But how can I clean these up on the L300???

2) Low Coolant warning light is on on the dash, but have run it enough time now (2 weeks) to know I have no coolant loss issues. Bad sensor maybe? and if so jusst need heads up with where it's located.

3) Odometer doesn't work, displays same mileage. A quick look online narrowed down to a relay problem most likely? Again need to know where in the relay blocks to look to swap in a new one to test this.

Again, thanks in advance, time to go out driving while we can still have the sunroof open!

Dave

Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned

Low coolant warning comes from sensor inside the coolant "overflow" tank. Sensor gets gummied up. Need to flush/clean the tank.

If the speedo works and the odometer doesn't, the problem is most likely in the odometer circuitry within the instrument cluster.

I'd try bug and tar removal cleaner on the tire rubs ...

Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Default L300 Q's thanks for the reply

Thanks for the tips! A flush and fill on the coolant is on the to-do list before
the snow flies here in MN anyway, so hope that'll solve issue 1

The Odo issue sounds spendy if it's the cluster. As long as the speedo and gas gauge keep doing their thing I'm cool as I don't plan on selling the car.

Payday looming so a trip to the store for the bug/tar remover is in order. Doesn't help that the car's white and the tire and other marks are black of course.

Dave M

fwiw, the gal I bought my L300 from replaced that with a Vue, and it's not 2 months on and she's got the same thing going on that! May pass along the last tip to her!