General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

L300 Stalls, then restarts after a few minutes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Default L300 Stalls, then restarts after a few minutes

I have a 2004 Saturn L300 V6.

the past few weeks i have had this issue... it happens two ways.
1. the car just slow starts, after a minute it starts up great.
2. the car will stall at a low idle... sometimes starts right back up... sometimes needs 5 minutes.

I have replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and put in fuel treatment. I was advised that there could be water in the tank as we just had terrible storms in FL... i have run 1/2+ tank of fuel with treatment to dry up moisture.

My fuel pump was replaced about 30k miles ago (currently at 90k)... but i know aftermarket parts can go bad.

Lastly i did have a check engine and ran codes a couple months ago..... O2 sensor... just havent replaced it due to the cost. I am not aware of an O2 sensor stopping a car from starting... but maybe i am wrong?

thoughts? suggestions?

I will get codes read again today at Autozone to see if anything else pops up.

Thank you in advance.

Marc

Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned

First thing I would try, is put a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail, and make sure the fuel pressure is correct. That will clear any concern you have about the recently replaced fuel pump.

Yes, Autozone (or similar store) would be a great idea. If you get numbers showing up, post the numbers, please ....

Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 AM

IF you rent the fuel pump pressure tester from Autozone, inspect it closely before putting your deposit on it. I just rented the only one the local store had this morning to test this POS Equinox I have and the damned thing didn't work. Upon inspecting it, I discovered that the doofus that had rented it before me obviously didn't know what the hell they were doing. They bent the copper piece that's supposed to depress the Schrader valve and tore the rubber o ring that holds it in place. Needless to say, I'm not happy and neither is the kid at Autozone after I told him it didn't work and showed him why. Now I'll have to travel to the next town over and see if theirs is okay to use. It'll be tomorrow though, because it's already too hot for me to be outside fooling with a vehicle.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned

RubeHayseed --

Sorry to hear of your plight, but it does underline an issue for all of our Saturn buds -- if you rent ANY tool from a shop or parts house, be sure it is in working order before you take it out the door! If you are unsure of how a tester or tool is supposed to operate, ASK ... this is for your own safety!!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Default Update:

took off Crank Position sensor and it tested at 960ohms...... then put the sensor into some near boiling water and it shot over 2500 ohms and eventually climbed off the charts for the meter i was using.

Looks like this was wrong unless anyone advises that a hot sensor is supposed to do that........

i didnt test the fuel pressure yet.... but when the car stalled yesterday i depressed the port on the fuel line and gas shot all the way out. This gives me the impression that there was plenty of fuel in the line and the car shouldn't have stalled.

I think i solved the problem unless my two assumptions above are wrong. I have the $80 Crank sensor but haven't installed it yet.

thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Yeah, I don't think the crank sensor should read that high. Go ahead and replace that sucker and see how the car does. Sounds like the fuel pump is okay, but, it could be getting weak. If I turn the key on in my Equinox and count to seven, it cranks and starts just fine, but, if I just jump in and hit the key, it wants to keep cranking. I have to turn it off and then try it again.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 AM

thank you Rube.... Everything I can read shows 900-1200 should be the range; however, cannot find anything addressing if a HOT sensor should go out of that range.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Problem being I wont find out till the next random time it happens, its not consistent when I stall out. The only consistency seems to be it's always when the car is hot; cold starts have never been an issue. Also, just simple trips to the grocery story (1 mile away) and back are always fine.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Banned

CPS should remain within the range stated, regardless of temperature. Looks like you may have found your problem, but it'll take a while to prove it ....

Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM

I agree with OA. IF if were mine, I'd just go ahead and replace the sensor. I think it's done.